Author Topic: holiday money cards  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Ally B

holiday money cards
« on: April 11, 2018, 13:33:01 PM »
Can anyone give advice on the best way to take my holiday money to Turkey. I always used travelers cheques  but not sure now.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Re: holiday money cards
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 13:51:05 PM »
Ally
We always take sterling and change it up in Fethiye change office or the jewellers in Calis  8)

Offline Ally B

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 13:56:33 PM »
Thanks badger but not sure about leaving a lot of cash in the apartment safe.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 14:54:40 PM »
Withdrawing from ATMs on specific credit cards gets you top rate*. These cards are Barclaycard Travel Card, Halifax Clarity,  and Santander Zero (but you need to be a current account holder with them). Of these the Barclaycard because it does not charge interest on non-sterling withdrawals.

* if you took out lira yesterday with one of these cards you would have got £1 = 5.73/5.74 TL.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 15:09:38 PM by Colwyn »

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 15:53:49 PM »
Withdrawing from ATMs on specific credit cards gets you top rate*. These cards are Barclaycard Travel Card, Halifax Clarity,  and Santander Zero (but you need to be a current account holder with them). Of these the Barclaycard because it does not charge interest on non-sterling withdrawals.

* if you took out lira yesterday with one of these cards you would have got £1 = 5.73/5.74 TL.

Agree  I use a Halifax Clarity card  and pay the balance the day I return. gets the actual rate plus charges a tiny bit of interest on the money until you pay it back. last time I used it I got the same rate as XE but was charged about 34p interest. I didn't know Santander Zero did the same thing Ive got one of those but have only used it once.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 16:35:24 PM »
I didn't mention that all three of these cards allow you to pay goods and services without foreign currency charge so you get top rate on meals, drinks, hotels etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf