Author Topic: Whoop!  (Read 16351 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Whoop!
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2013, 21:47:32 PM »
Thanks highlander, they did say if it was been sold as a 1 bed  and not a habitable room,it was ok. A good point though, that a first time buyer might have that clause that might affect their finances..we are back in Turkey September, so see whats on the cards when we come back. Hopefully, it will go, before we have to start spending more money on the place.   :)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
I'm with Scunner on this one, Bernie. Where else would you, for a £720 stake, get a £10k return? And an immediate one at that.

You are currently limiting your potential buying market when you really don't have to.

Short term pain for long term (Turkish) gain.  :-*

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2013, 07:14:10 AM »
I know, I never gave it a thought until yesterday.
If I go for retrospective,I have to take up some laminate and maybe some
Plasterboard.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
I suppose it might depend partly on timing too.
For example, we have arguably the slowest planning authority in the UK and it could take 5 months easily to get retrospective approval.
But yours is likely to be quicker, Bernie, and if you're not tied to moving quickly and can stand the cost then as others have said, it makes sense.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
Surely it isn't a 10k return on £ 720. There was the small matter of the cost of the conversion work.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »
Yes thats true highlander..it was all done by a builder.we had itdone for when people stayed but mostly as a man cave for slik n his wii and computer.

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
Surely it isn't a 10k return on £ 720. There was the small matter of the cost of the conversion work.

Yes, but that was done, presumably, a while back for their own use.  It's not what I would call one of the costs of the sale.  The £720 is currently a potential way of making the house more saleable, adding value at the same time. 

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »
Unless of course the builder cut a few corners to make the conversion easier as there were no planning officers checking on it.
A colleague at work did a similar thing then decided to rent his property out a few years later. He ended up having to rip the floor up to put in deeper floor joists to satisfy planning.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
No there wasnt any cutting corners floor was reinforced, roof was done to that apex thing. It has 270 insulation and the velux window had summat done to space before.  I didnt/dont need planning. Only building control and thats  if you want to use it as a bedroom...so i,ll see if there are anymore viewings while we are in Turkey. If not, or it still poses a problem, then we empty loft andlet them take up laminate , maybe a panel of plaster board, but they might be able to do it through spot lights..so fingers crossed, and whatevers meant to be will be. I,ll contemplate my future over a long cool drink at the Blue Star.

8)

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2013, 17:58:49 PM »
Three..yes THREE..viewings booked over Wed/Thurs..we arrive in Turkey 6th, lets hope we have some good news to go with.
Either way exciting times ahead.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf