Author Topic: Swapping ebooks  (Read 15281 times)

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 20:47:28 PM »
Ian - you and everyone else I think. :)

I've finished my collection and HappyMonday's so the total now stands at 10,337 ebooks. I've had offers of more collections so these will be added as soon as I get them.

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 21:30:22 PM »
If you are not sure about a book then typing the title into a google search will usually provide you with a few reviews to ponder over. I was considering "The Dark Light Years" by Brian Aldiss for my kindle and a quick search on google found a review on SFReviews.net which was enough to convince me that it was going to be right up my street.....

"In my more introspective moments, I find myself wondering how anyone could possibly not love a novel with dialogue like, "I pronounce all this to be land belonging to the Triple Suns. Let defecation commence." The Dark Light-Years is, forty years after it was first published, still one of the most biting and hilarious satirical SF novels ever written.

What if the human race encountered an extraterrestrial species that was clearly advanced, in many ways beyond anything we could possibly imagine — and yet what if their ways and customs contravened everything we considered to be endemic to a civilized, sapient culture? The Utods are just such a species. Both philosophically and technologically advanced beyond our understanding (their spaceships are made of wood!), they literally wallow in their own filth. Defecation is tied into everything — religious ritual, family bonding, even basic communication.

So it should come as no surprise that when humans first encounter these beings, we consider them dumb animals and shoot them full of holes."

:D

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 17:11:19 PM »
I'm still getting email requests for the catalogue. I've sent the latest version out to everyone who has asked for one but as Keith has gone to so much trouble to put a couple of links on here for everyone's convenience it seems rude not to use them (and you won't have to wait for me to respond) ;)  

SteveJ

Offline Fran

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 18:58:32 PM »
I already have the list via email. but the link won,t open for me.
Fran

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 19:03:56 PM »
Don't worry Fran - I think I can see Keith riding to the rescue. :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 19:12:50 PM »
Into the distance actually

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 19:17:46 PM »
Ok new improved version is uploaded as of 4 seconds ago so download the new file. Download link is working fine - if anyone has a problem it could be downloading in the background so check your downloads folder, it may well be sitting in there. Also search for the filename on your computer - EbookLibrary

http://www.calisvilla.co.uk/EbookLibrary.xls

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2011, 20:28:35 PM »
A spreadsheet with over four thousand ebooks arrived last night from CBF member Shrek, there were some duplicates which I haven't added but even so the grand total now stands at 13,228 ebooks.

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 20:54:02 PM »
Oh bugger - I've just noticed that somewhere between A and C the list of authors surnames has dropped by one line. I noticed it because according to the catalogue Jonathan Carroll wrote Alice in wonderland and Lewis Carroll wrote From Eternity to Here.:D

Fixed in next version (hopefully).

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
Thanks for doing all this Steve - just saved the latest list on the CBF server to my computer and as soon as I get my Kindle I'll be in touch with the owners of Lee Child and James Patterson books  :)

Will share any books I get too as soon I have them to share...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf