Author Topic: Broadband rant part one  (Read 922 times)

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Broadband rant part one
« on: March 19, 2009, 21:04:12 PM »
My broadband connection started to really go slow, so I checked the speed I was getting and found it had gone down to half a meg, so I contacted the supplier to find out why, only to be told that there was nothing they could do about it as it was a problem with BT. I contacted BT who tested the line and said there was nothing wrong with it and it could handle up to eight meg, so back to my supplier who refused to accept that there was a problem, so I gave them the required 21 days notice to quit, we agreed a mutual closing date and as my annual payment was due I agreed to pay up to the termination date. Two weeks later I received a receipt stating that they had  taken payment for a full year. In the meantime I have received an offer on the sale of my house and studio so I contacted my supplier again and said that as they had taken the payment for the coming year I would cancel the termination until I had a moving date and then get back to them, two weeks later they cut me off. When I rang them to find out why they said that they had made a mistake with the receipt they had sent me and that they had only charged me up to the agreed cut of date, and as I had made no further payments they cut me off, when I asked why they did not e-mail me to make me aware of the situation they said that they couldn't because my service was cut by BT two days earlier than the agreed date. when I asked to be reconnected they said it would take seven days and a reconnection fee of £40, (and this is from a company that I have been using for the last six years) so with a few choice expletives my ex supplier and I have parted company. 8)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Broadband rant part one
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
good luck in your new home mike.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Broadband rant part one
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »
agree with C1, great that you have managed a sale in the present climate, where to now?

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Broadband rant part one
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »
Hopefully to Telscombe ciffs, just outside Brighton.
I am in the process of buying a four bedroom chalet bungalow a few hundred yards from the cliff top prom and the Tye, a part of the south downs
that extends down to the sea, but the owner requires a quick sale as she is emigrating to Australia in June and my sale is quite involved and I do not have a
signing date yet. Anxious times indeed but I'm full of hope.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Broadband rant part one
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »
Sounds a great location. Good luck Mike  8)
ken :D

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Broadband rant part one
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
Hi Mike
All the best with your sale and move. As you know we managed it last July despite being phoned in Istanbul by the estate agent who told us the sale was off; and then phoned back four days later to tell us it was back on again. "Anxious" is rather mild for the process!

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Broadband rant part one
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:02:50 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes , The buyer for my place told me that it would be a cash deal but as it involves
an inheritance of a £2.5 million house held in trust he would have to wait for a meeting of the trustees to release the money.
That meeting has been held and he has been given the go ahead but I hear now that he has instructed his financial adviser.
It seems to me that he has been given the trusts permission  to raise the money on his share of the inheritance, rather than the trust release the money
which of course is not my notion of a cash deal.
I know this sounds like a fairy story but my brief assures me that it is true and that the buyer is still very keen to purchase so I am toying with the idea
of putting my place back on the market in the hopes of  geeing the buyer up and just hope that I am not a nervous wreck if and when the purchase happens.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Broadband rant part one
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
Any one know why estate agents insist on calling a two story  house a chalet bungalow, it seems to me to be a contradiction in terms, or have I missed something. 8)

Offline Firo

Broadband rant part one
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
A bugalow is on floor but when it extends into the roof space with windows etc it gets called a chalet bungalow.....that's my understanding of the term anyway.
Fi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf