Author Topic: Councils tell people to help themselves  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Councils tell people to help themselves
« on: January 05, 2010, 22:18:14 PM »
Apparently Local Council's are now saying that people should be doing more for themselves during the cold spell, like clearing the paths in front of their houses.

No problem lads - I'll be glad to - just as soon as you pay me back the money which I have already paid you to carry out such Work.

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES DON'T CON ME OUT OF MY MONEY. MUPPETS !!!!

Oh and by the way, I've been on the phone to Mrs H's 85 year old mother in Aberdeen and told her to get off her a@@e and get her path cleared.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 00:45:06 AM »
no chance of you getting a penny back, please bear in mind that 25% of the council taxes we all pay goes into their pension pot. and you can bet a pound to a penny that most of the people who will stay at home over this cold snap will be on tax payers payroll.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by c1

no chance of you getting a penny back, please bear in mind that 25% of the council taxes we all pay goes into their pension pot. and you can bet a pound to a penny that most of the people who will stay at home over this cold snap will be on tax payers payroll.

We live one third of a mile up a farm lane, and it's impossible to leave a bin at the end of the road.  When we moved to this house in 1983 the council gave us black bin bags and told us to leave the rubbish at the end of the road for pick-up by the bin men.  Unfortunately, seagulls etc., started to break open the bags, and as there are houses at the end of the road and the residents complained to us, my husband decided to take our rubbish to the local dump every Saturday morning.
Last year I contacted the council and asked could they reduce our Council Tax, which included rubbish removal.  I explained we had never used this service we were being charged for.   I was told by the Council that they could not reduce our Council Tax as the rubbish removal cost very little, and most of the tax was for the schools!![:(!]:(:-\

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:55:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by c1

25% of the council taxes we all pay goes into their pension pot

TELL ME ABOUT IT:(

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 00:46:45 AM »
Well the kids here have taken them at there word, they are all sliding down the hills with the lids off the wheelie bins, bit like the old steerin carts, (dont worry they will put them back) well I will anyway. ;)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:54:03 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by c1

and you can bet a pound to a penny that most of the people who will stay at home over this cold snap will be on tax payers payroll.

And will not be paid.  We have been informed that if we are off it comes off our flexi which is time we have collected by doing more hours than our contract.  The reason we do more hours is to cover the demands for the service.  IE in my case trying to get people out of hospital.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:57:46 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by c1

and you can bet a pound to a penny that most of the people who will stay at home over this cold snap will be on tax payers payroll.

And will not be paid.  We have been informed that if we are off it comes off our flexi which is time we have collected by doing more hours than our contract.  The reason we do more hours is to cover the demands for the service.  IE. in my case trying to get people out of hospital.   If we have not got any flexi lying we will have to make it up .  I am lucky I have managed to get into work.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:55:04 PM »
Heather

I should tell your colleagues who didn't make it to work to take this up with their Union - they can't do that.

It is not worth the risk to your life or the lives of others to travel in such unsafe conditions.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 13:07:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by c1

Shouldn't we be glad that some people still get a decent Pension and that some employers will pay people their wages if they can't get to work in such dreadful conditions.

There are thousands of dedicated people that work in the public services and I for one am happy that some of my taxes (when I worked in the UK) went to pay people a decent wage (and benefits when they can't find work).

Everyone deserves the right to decent pay and conditions of service and that includes a decent Pension.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 16:57:10 PM »
Nichola - can I ask if, when you were working in the UK, you would have been happy for some of your taxes to be paid into my pension fund.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf