Author Topic: Aid  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Piscoe

Aid
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
I recall reading somewhere recently about the amount of aid our government gives out to countries in aid. One of which was India. I personally find it a bit difficult to stomach when so many people here in the UK are on or below the poverty line due to no fault of their own. Our government tell us there isn't any money for that type of aid. So, can you imagine my complete astonishment when I read the following article this morning?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24729073

So they can't look after their own and rely on aid from abroad yet can invest in space exploration???

Is it me or is there something seriously wrong with this? Who is worse, our government for being gullible or the Indians for wasting money when their population are in dire need?

Oh by the way, I found the link to the Indian aid piece http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20265583

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Aid
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »
Don't disagree at all, India should start to look out for its own (poor) people.  However, we should not compare the relative poverty that people experience in the UK, with the absolute poverty suffered by millions in India.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
This year the UK is giving India £227 million in overseas aid.
This should be stopped at once, until India learns to sort out it's priorities. 

th

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 13:25:29 PM »
What hacks me off is that India now have a Space Programme... Why do we need to give aid to a country wasting money like this??

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 15:10:20 PM »
Just read that India are launching a Spacecraft to Mars.....Cannot get my head around a space programme, thousands of people living in poverty, and a country holding out the begging bowl for foreign aid. :o >:(
http://news.yahoo.com/india-launches-first-mission-mars-092752981.html

Offline ceni

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »
That'll be mars stinking of sh*t and curry in a few years time then.........couldn't resist !

Offline scorcher

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Should have tried harder !

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
If it was feasible to transfer countries to Mars I could nominate a couple.
I'd even chip in with the costs.     ;)

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 18:23:58 PM »
 You have to admire a country that is so desperately hungry that it will travel all that way for a Mars!  :o

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 18:50:33 PM »
I can understand why people feel upset when stories like this hit the headlines. When Hurricane Katrina caused savage damage in New Orleans, and tens of thousands of people were in dire circumstances, UK charities called for donations. My first reaction was to think: "The USA is the richest country on the planet. Let them sort it out". Later it became clear that the people in New Orleans suffering most were black, didn't vote Republican and George W. Bush didn't give a damn about them. The government of the richest country in the world forgot about these people. But when we give aid - via charities or government - we do not want to help the the government; we want to help those who are suffering. And it doesn't matter much difference to them whether they are suffering in a rich country or a poor one; they still need help from someone. Of course their governments ought to look after them; but what about when they don't? I decided not to donate any money to the Katrina appeal because America was rich enough to handle things itself. On reflection, I now think my decision was wrong.

The problem, always, is to get get the aid to those who are suffering and not letting it be embezzled by governments and others on its way there. In this respect perhaps people should be pleased that the UK will cease financial aid to India in 2015 and, instead, give aid in the form of technical assistance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf