Author Topic: Your first trip overseas  (Read 3788 times)

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Your first trip overseas
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

On the theme of first cars this weekend what are members early memories of their first holidays abroad ?

Mine was in the mid sixties and I was fortunate to go to Callela on the Costa Brava,at a time when holiday camps in the UK were the norm. The Clarkson rep greeted every passenger at the steps leading up to the plane,and on the return flight most people myself included came down the steps holding a donkey or wearing a sombrero  8)  Happy days

Dont worry Animal Aid the donkeys were not real    :)

Offline littlereddevil

Re: Your first trip overseas
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »
My first trip abroad was to Marbella. Nothing like it is now!
I remember when in Tunisia I bough a little camel from a kid on the square and after I gave him the money he grabbed the camel from my hand and ran!
My OH worked in the east of Turkey many moons ago when it was almost free! The gold and silk goods he brought back were so cheap.
Anyway he always wanted me to see Turkey so we first went there on holiday in the 80's and that was me hooked.
Became my favourite place apart from the Far east, that is my real favourite.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »

On the theme of first cars this weekend what are members early memories of their first holidays abroad ?

Mine was in the mid sixties and I was fortunate to go to Callela on the Costa Brava,at a time when holiday camps in the UK were the norm.

I went to Calella too about same time - my most vivid memory is the train line you had to climb over to get to the beach!  We stayed at Hotel Monte Carlo and were fed veal every night for 2 weeks. 

Offline Lotty

Your first trip overseas
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
I was quite late for my first trip abroad, 1979.  We went to Benalmadena, Costa del Sol and stayed at Hotel Bali. The food was disgusting, theybhad a thing about eggs cooked in every variable way, in pink sauce, in gravy etc. etc. We ended up eating the mouthwatering grilled sardines and calamaris with a big fresh salad on the beach every day! Never tasted anything so delicious! I was 5 months pregnant at the time. Still great memory.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
Isle of Wight   :)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
Mine was about 1975 we towed a caravan to Lorett de mar.
My first solo (without parents) I went with a mate to Arenal in Mallorca in 1981. That brings back memories.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »
Lorett de Mar for me also, school trip 1972 aged 14, amazed that we could walk into a bar and order a drink as if it was the most natural thing in the World and still remember Franco's police with the funny hats with a flat thing on the back, and carrying guns  :o

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
Valleyboy you have just brought back a memory of a school trip to France when I was 14. I walked out of a bar with a pint of beer I had just bought feeling all great and said to my mates, 'Its easy they serve anyone', my mate said look behind you, there was our teacher, he made me pour the pint down the grid. >:(

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 13:10:25 PM »
May 1975 Bulgaria - Suny beach when there were no sun lbed sat all on beach.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 13:23:48 PM »

Mine was in the mid sixties and I was fortunate to go to Callela on the Costa Brava,at a time when holiday camps in the UK were the norm.

I went to Calella too about same time - my most vivid memory is the train line you had to climb over to get to the beach!  We stayed at Hotel Monte Carlo and were fed veal every night for 2 weeks. 
I remember the train line well Bluwise I think Santa Susanna was nearby, and the armed  police Valleyboy, woman were only allowed to wear bikinis on the beaches then  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf