Author Topic: Sit coms  (Read 4985 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Sit coms
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 00:41:21 AM »
Yes very funny, saw it when it was shown here, south of the border, on BBC 2 some years back.  Talking of comedy from north of the border, Rab C Nesbit was on tonight, still one of the greatest comedy programmes, that delivers the best of comedy and political comment you'll ever hear.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:00:02 AM »
I'm not sure we are doing enough to encourage new writing talent. We can't be judging by the dearth of decent comedy.

I would love to know what dirt Miranda has on the powers that be at the Beeb. It's the only reason for her being re-commissioned surely? Oh sorry, she's posh too.

I watched my first ever Benidorm last week - the Christmas one with Sue Pollard. It was tolerable. Some of the acting was decidedly below par but some of it pretty good too. It didn't make me want to watch other episodes though.

Birds of a Feather - cannot abide it. Linda Robson is an awful actress. Pauline Quirke isn't too bad, but the characters are awful and story lines are non existent.

I do like Alan Partridge but I have to be 'in the mood' for him. This is probably because his character is so cringe-worthy, he can genuinely make me feel uncomfortable, a bit like Borat does.

Rab C Nesbitt is just classic stuff but topical too. Great vehicle for social commentary.

Watched 'Two Doors Down' which may have been a seasonal one off or a pilot, not sure. A waste of some decent acting talent whichever it was.

I reckon we have a few aspiring comedic writers on here.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 07:30:27 AM »
Love Still Game, we also have the boxed set, every episode was funny, there are few sit-coms where you can really laugh out loud, this is one of them.
Also have the Father Ted set, again so funny, as is Rab C.Nesbitt.   
Problem is, these are all old Sit-Coms and the new ones being made are just not funny.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
I am sure that the great writing talent for TV is still out there, and there is some evidence of it it on Ch 4, and interestingly is still there on Radio.  However as Menthol points out the BBC is only interested in posh comedy these days, whether Miranda or the comedians it uses like McCintyre, Brand, Howard, Whitehall (who are all very poor) ... Blimey even the Irish they use, O'Brien and norton, are Irish posh!.

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
Saw the Rab C Nesbit I think it was entitled Rabin Hoodie. Excellent great comedy with more than a hint of a message.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »

Also have the Father Ted set, again so funny,

Yes same here - and even having the box set STILL watch it when it comes on E4 again :D

So many classic lines

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0</a>

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »
Still Game's success I think is down to well written characters we can all identify with, splendid acting by all concerned and realistic story lines about ordinary folk in an ordinary community. It also shows a social awareness of problems which the people of Craiglang have to deal with.

I don't remember too many earth shattering events happening in Craiglang. The worst that could probably happen is the Clansman running dry.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 13:02:18 PM »
What a total disappointment Benidorm was, had been looking forward to it for ages and it was rubbish, I had one laugh and that was it in fact I dozed off at one point it was that c""p...Maybe it is time for Derren Little the writer to come up with a new show altogether if he wants to write about Brits on holiday maybe he could call it "Calis" or "Hisaronu"  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 13:36:58 PM »
I'd try "Uzumlu" - but nobody would believe it!

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 14:27:06 PM »
One comedy show that just makes me laugh is "Not Going Out"  some of the oneliners on there are brilliant, though it has lost its edge since a couple of the cast left.  Its more a showcase for Lee Mack's quips than anything else.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf