Author Topic: Cheapest Real Ale in England.  (Read 3579 times)

Offline apollo

Cheapest Real Ale in England.
« on: June 08, 2015, 15:26:39 PM »
For those of us intending to visit England for a holiday. Where will we find the cheapest pint of Real Ale? And what is it?

Offline littlereddevil

Re: Cheapest Real Ale in England.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 15:34:18 PM »
Weatherspoons. Different selections every week.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 16:03:18 PM »
Visit Scotland and try the Brewdog  :) 

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 16:04:52 PM »
Well it probably will not be London for cheapness.  I was paying around £4 a pint when there last month.  Having said that London staple session beers like Youngs ordinary or London Pride were - as ever - excellent in the pubs I visited.  Both are available all across London, but there are some very excellent pubs along and around Borough High Street, serving them.  In the Market Porter, in Borough Market, and the Royal Oak, in Tabard Street (near to Borough Tube) you can also get the excellent Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter.  In the Royal Oak there is the full range of Harvey's Ales and Beers.  I also went to the very excellent TheCharlesDickens in Southwark, where there are at least six great beers on, and some good ciders too.  I had a very very good pint of London porter, I think it was called Bayswater London Porter, but again they were all around four pound.

Outside of London, in deepest Sussex and Surrey there is still plenty of Youngs or Fullers to be had, plus of course the fantastic old King and barnes pubs, owned and serving Hall and Woodehouse's excellent beers.  You might get lucky in some of these locations and get a pint for just over three quid.

The place I always remember being the cheapest for a pint of excellent beer was in and around Tadcaster/York for a pint of the very lovely Sam Smiths, but I am not sure what they charge these days.  Not so very long ago you could get a pint for less than £2. By...but it's grim the t'north.

Finally, if price is the thing then you probably can't beat the excellent bottled beers sold in Lidls, and for price and extensive range Asda takes some beating too.  Mmmmmmm I have only been back just over a week, and you've got me missing a good pint already...and Efes is not in any way a substitute for any of the beers mentioned above.

Offline apollo

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 16:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Sam Smiths is a good pint and always at a good price.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 19:00:45 PM »
Is this the price of Efes topic in reverse?  ;)

Agree about Wetherspoons, great ales and great prices.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 19:26:23 PM »
Is this the price of Efes topic in reverse?   ;)

Agree about Wetherspoons, great ales and great prices.
And half of them are nicely renovated old buildings, beautifully restored and nice places to visit. But half of them are refurbished old halls, cinemas, public libraries and so on and little more than drinking warehouses. In the latter gather sad old sots for their 11pm "All Day Breakfast" who remain for much of the rest of the day drinking whatever beer/cider is the cheapest. By 5pm they have become loudly raucous and are beginning to smell. Fortunately they usually stagger or totter away before 7pm leaving only debris ... and the remnants of the smell. The beer is very cheap though. If you like that sort of thing.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 19:51:51 PM »
...and Efes is not a beer.

There you go, sorted it for you.

JF

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 17:23:00 PM »
Cheapest don't always mean best qualitity nor does it imply best value for money, check out what local to where you visit and ask the locals in the pub.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 17:39:07 PM »
If you asked the locals in my local you'd end up choosing between Fosters and Black Rat, unless you were lucky.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf