Author Topic: Europe  (Read 12203 times)

Offline bob 1

• Newly Registered
Re: Europe
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 23:04:51 PM »
out. make our own rules. good or bad sod brussels

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 04:39:16 AM »
Most people I've spoken to haven't made their minds up yet but do appear to be leaning out of the window rather than in at the moment.

Out for me! I'm sick of Europe at the minute. It costs far too much for what it achieves.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
If only things were straightforward...

A success for the "out" campaigners would almost certainly trigger a fresh independence referendum in Scotland, assuming the majority north of the border voted to stay in.  A recent MORI poll for The Scotsman newspaper suggested that only 26% were in favour of leaving Europe, 12% undecided and 62% to remain part of the EU.

The figures quoted indicated that 54% of Scots would vote yes, if a fresh referendum was called.  From what I've seen and heard recently, from those who vigorously opposed independence last time round, I think 54% is a bit on the low side.

Interesting times ahead.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
That completes the nightmare scenario John: Britain leaves the EU; Scotland leaves the UK; and the rest of us are condemned to Old Etonian Tory authoritarian rule in perpetuity. Job rights abolished, 60 hour working week imposed, zero hour contracts for all manual workers, teenagers to pay boss for permission to come to work.Will my friendly, happy Polish neighbours be replaced by angry, bitter Brits who have been thrown out of their jobs in EU countries because free movement of labour no longer covers UK citizens? I'd have to consider emigrating to Scotland - if they'll have me - but I think I'm too rooted in the West Country.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 10:24:09 AM »
I'd have to consider emigrating to Scotland - if they'll have me - but I think I'm too rooted in the West Country.

As a current resident your lad could mibbe bring you in on a family or dependent visa.  You'd have to wear the dark blue at the rugby though  :)

Alternatively, there is always: West of England proposes ambitious devolution deal worth £2bn to economy  Devolution, it's the first step.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 18:38:57 PM »
The CBF poll is significantly different from the polls being taken of the UK population as a whole. Currently the CBF poll shows a strong majority for OUT whereas UK polls show IN a sliver ahead but too close to call with Don't Know/Don't Care with the balance of power. This comes as no surprise to me. As soon as Anne posted a vote I thought that OUT would sweep the vote on CBF. I couldn't say why I thought this. I guess those who favour OUT may think it shows that CBF members have superior intelligence and judgement; those who incline to IN could have a different view.

Offline alixandria

• Newly Registered
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 20:13:52 PM »
After reading the news that Turkey wants Billions of euros before even considering any negotiations on the stopping the migrants to enter Turkey makes you wonder what is Turkey all about. Seems that there is not a lot of  difference between Russia's objectives and their own.Just my opinion.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 21:49:54 PM »
My choice is purely my own Colwyn, CBF has no influence. I think it's a tad patronising to think our views would be based on anyone one person on CBF.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 22:16:47 PM »
The public polls on whatever subject always amuse me... I have never been asked for my opinion on anything but the papers seem to assume that everyone has been asked for one.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 23:57:28 PM »

Ed Milliband believed the polls, to the extent that he asked the Camerons to vacate No 10 within 48 hours of the Election.

I believe he is still trying to remove the egg from his face.   Pollsters eh.!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf