Author Topic: NHS Nurses.  (Read 2022 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

NHS Nurses.
« on: August 08, 2016, 16:46:01 PM »
Had more (hopefully final) surgery on my ankle today. Got to say what a great service they provide. From arrival to departure,this one nurse in our bay looked after us with all the kindness and professionalism  you could wish for. From booking us in, doing obs, answering questions,making tea and toast on our return from theatre and pouring jugs of water the girl never stopped. Even during an emergency admission of a screaming patient, she calmly went and got someone to administer morphine.(well it was either that or a pillow over her face, either way the woman was quiet behind the curtains on her return). Anyway, this lovely nurse was a real credit to the NHS, and I told them so on the feedback form you get after surgery. I think if they could have got away with it,they would have had her with a broom up her Jacksy sweeping the floor as she was going along. Nurses don't get appreciated or paid enough by this Government,about time they did.   :)  :)

Offline marina

Re: NHS Nurses.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 16:53:54 PM »
Hope you have a speedy and successful recovery Bernie,   :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 18:46:19 PM »
Nurses don't get appreciated or paid enough by this Government,about time they did.    :)  :)

So true.  Spent the weekend with some family in the west, one's a nurse and two are paramedics - all are pretty disaffected with the way they are treated (professionally) but none of them would consider working anywhere other than they do just now.  To them it's not a job, it's a vocation.  The biggest issue appears to be the layers of management that has no experience doing the jobs they do, who get paid far more money than they do and ultimately don't do the job anywhere as well as their (from a different era) predecessors who had come through the ranks, so to speak.

Using Bernie's analogy, I think the problem may be that while they want the floor swept, they'd be unsure of exactly what implement to tell the nurse to stick up her arse  :)

We had an interesting discussion regarding the differences between the NHS in the UK and dual state/private system in use in Turkey, but that's for another day!

JF

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 19:12:53 PM »
So many experts telling you what to do but none of them can actually show you  >:(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 20:00:54 PM »
It's not just the NHS that has this problem.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 20:27:13 PM »
Schools spring to mind straight away along with many other roles that employ "experts" who do the Tell but forget the old Show, Do, Review bit!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 20:47:21 PM »
Get well soon Bernie.  My sister in law is a nurse and she works in Geriatrics.  She has such a calm manner and I think she needs it after some of the things she has told me.  Like the old lady that hide her wedding ring and the family demanded to know where it was.  My sister in law found it after a search.  I will not tell you were. I admire her, she does a great job.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf