Author Topic: Renewable Energy doesnt cost the Earth?  (Read 3369 times)

Offline scorcher

Re: Renewable Energy doesnt cost the Earth?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
My, that all sounds very bleak. Whisper who dares but there might be just a few of those affected who  consider Mrs T had done them a favour. I speak as one who was caught slap bang in the middle of the miners dispute and it was very nasty indeed. Miner v Miner and families torn asunder is not a memory I cherish.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 13:24:30 PM »
Let's not turn this into another polictical thread to bash Mrs T again! The fact is the mines were closed and if it had been economically viable to re-open them en-mass then I'm sure someone would have done it by now.

Maybe it is now viable (or will be soon) and if so then I would expect coal to be mined in huge amounts again. Why not?

As for wind farms - I understand they are not very efficient and have a tendancy to mince up many of our feathered friends.

Wave power should be the way forward as it's relentless.

Solar panels are fine but those who do not have them are subsidising those who do. I read that a solar farm the size of the Isle of White could power the whole of England through the daylight hours. Never like that island anyway so lets do it  ;)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 18:42:58 PM »
My, that all sounds very bleak. Whisper who dares but there might be just a few of those affected who  consider Mrs T had done them a favour. I speak as one who was caught slap bang in the middle of the miners dispute and it was very nasty indeed. Miner v Miner and families torn asunder is not a memory I cherish.
Well, the strike was terrible, and it will be generations before the wounds heal, but from the reaction of all the miners I knew none would say taking away their livelihood and forcing their communities into poverty was a favour  :) Certainly if you go to places like the villages around Barnsley you see the effects still today! The issue then was the speed of closure, there was no time really to build alternative employment and the schemes put into place window dressing. I wonder if the mines had mainly been around the Chiltern Hills and across the Thames Valley if the policies on closure would have been the same??

Anyway, the subject is one of renewable energy and should we use the reserves? I am in the camp of lets at least sink some shafts and begin some mining in the richest and lowest cost of these fields, such as Evesham area and build a modern coal fired Power Station to at least offset the costs of developing renewable energy?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf