Author Topic: What do think?  (Read 8344 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: What do think?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 20:19:17 PM »
Colwyn - just one question from me. Do you think life should mean life?
[I thought I replied just after you posted this but obviously I didn't complete the job properly].

In the most extreme of cases, the most appalling of crimes, I absolutely agree that people should face a whole life sentence. And the European Court of Human Rights agrees with me. I think the legislature/judiciary representing 30 years as a "life sentence" is ridiculous and brings the law into disrepute. Sentencing should be open (which I think it is) and also transparent (which I don't think it is) and life should mean life.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 20:24:03 PM »
other people do have a right to express their opinion
Yes, you're right I was a bit snappy. Not necessary

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 20:59:57 PM »
Mr Scunner,

Part of having a debating chamber is to allow adults to argue and disagree in  a respectful way TC, I may be alone but I don't think telling people to "get a life" fits in with that.

I wholeheartedly agree and would apologise to Colwyn for this remark if it caused offence, however, I do no do so for everything I remarked upon.

TC

Offline peter16

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 23:00:21 PM »
But Tuzlachap the question is...are you a DM reader??? >:( :o >:(

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 23:14:02 PM »
I would much rather they re allocate funds they have earmarked for things like aid for India when they have a space program or some of the funds we pay for Europe than just be taxed extra. I have no faith that the extra taxes would be used to fund what we are led to believe.

Well said.  Get our own house in order first.

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
Pete16

DM reader??  yes I am.   :-[ :P :-[ :P :-[ :P

TC  8) 8) (despite the rain)

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 09:01:34 AM »

I was brought-up near Maidstone Prison in the 50s, 60s and 70s and everyday there used to be workpartys of prisoners going out to do maintenance work on buildings, parks, gardens etc in the area. It was all brought to a halt because of the reduction in staff at the prison.

I lived from the early 50's to the early 90's in Rochester, near Maidstone. Rochester was the location of the first UK Borstal and every weekday without fail during the 50's, 60's & 70's there would be work parties from the Prison active in the area such as clearing the roads & paths of snow, tending to grass verges etc. there was a farm connected to the prison on which those 'Borstal Boys' interested were taught the rudiments of animal welfare etc. Sadly, as KKOB said, due to staff reductions these activities ceased, the farmland was sold & housing built. 2 doors from us lived one of the prison officers based at the Borstal and he used to tell us about some of the earlier boys incarcerated there and how many of them turned their lives around after a spell there, he said it changed so much and the attitude of the inmates deteriorated after the changes.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
This seems like a good idea to me. The article is old but I'm fairly sure it hasn't changed much.Sorry couldn't seem to copy the link. :-[

TURKEY
Open prison in Dalaman making big profits
MUĞLA – Doğan News Agency | 12/5/2007 12:00:00 AM | Mustafa SARIiPEK

An open prison near the Aegean town of Dalaman has started earning big profits. Dalaman Open Prison, which undertakes agriculture-related activities in the Aegean town of Dalaman, made

An open prison near the Aegean town of Dalaman has started earning big profits.
Dalaman Open Prison, which undertakes agriculture-related activities in the Aegean town of Dalaman, made YTL 2.5 million in revenue and YTL 641,000 net profit in the last 10 months.
This year it plans to make YTL 3 million in revenue and a net profit of YTL 800,000.
There are 150 insured prisoners out of a total of 245 in the prison, which was established on a plot spanning 3,600 square meters in 1942.
The prisoners feed 178 big cattle, 478 small cattle, and 78,560 poultry, as well as produce 200 tons of citrus fruits, 540 tons of wheat, and 210 tons of maize annually.
They bake 1,000 loaves of breads in a day. There are also workshops such as carpentry, restaurant management, construction, and aluminum works.
The number of productive and corrective prisons like Dalaman should be increased in the process of the legislative system's modernization, said Akif Celalettin Şimşek, chief prosecutor of the town of Fethiye.
Prisons should be places where people take up a profession and are rehabilitated, he said. This system will also help prisoners when they finish serving their prison term, since they learn a profession so they can adapt to life outside prison more easily.
As the number and variety of the professions increases, its contribution to the state budget will increase too, said Şimşek.
The prisoners are also glad to work where 150 insured prisoners earn YTL 90 a month and a bonus once a year. They can make unregistered telephone calls during working hours and they have five days vacation, the frequency of which depends on their total punishment.
Recep Gökmen, 52, one of the prisoners, said he is happy to work as a farmer where he learns a job and contributes to the states' interests.
ilyas Kayahan, 54, another prisoner, said his life in prison is better than life outside, because he drives a tractor and does husbandry. Some customers of the prison restaurant said the menu is great.
The prison also has a football team, and a theater group where social life is supported by sports and art activities.
 The prison's social activity expert, Sibel Ok, said the prisoners have performed plays in several prisons and were appreciated. They are close to professional actors, said Ok.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »
Lotty, it's nothing new to the UK. There were a number of prisons and borstals that used to be run in this way but many were affected by the staff cuts, health and safety legislation, human rights laws etc etc

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
Looks good to me Lotty, maybe the UK should take a step back in time 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf