Author Topic: Farage-Could he be the man to lead UK out of Europe?  (Read 3654 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Farage-Could he be the man to lead UK out of Europe?
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:11:05 AM »
Let me say at the outset I wouldn't vote for the man, and even less his rag bag party of the disgruntled disposed; self regarding; racist; semi fascist; and not very smart members.  However, below is a speech Farage recently made at the European Parliament that makes me think that he could lead a successful campaign on the single issue of the UK's exit from the EC via the upcoming referendum.  You may not agree with everything, or indeed anything, he says in the speech, but here he does deliver a smart, balanced and barnstorming speech, focused on key simple points, devoid of any party political or jingoistic points.  On this evidence, if he can carry this on into the campaign - when it actually starts - he could have the biggest single impact on the referendum, and he could do enough on his own to bring about a UK exit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5lXYw1l8l0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5lXYw1l8l0</a>

I must say that best of all in the speech was the looks on the faces of Chancellor Merkel and President Hollande at what he was saying.  Merkel looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp, and Hollande looks like he is a bunny caught in the headlights of an oncoming car.  Worth watching for the looks on those faces alone ;D ;D ;D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Farage-Could he be the man to lead UK out of Europe?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
One swallow does not maketh a summer.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 14:10:28 PM »
One swallow makes a hell of a mess on a wall when making a nest.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 14:56:31 PM »
Farage is the sort of chap who would a blind man over a cliff.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 15:12:42 PM »
Help, lead or push?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 15:23:20 PM »
Yes you may not like the man and think that his politics stink, but on the single issue of the referendum can you also see that he may just have what it takes to lead the campaign and take the UK out.  Similar, to a limited extent, to Churchill in the run up too and the early stages of WW2, and indeed De Gaulle during WW2 and after it with the creation of the fifth republic.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 15:49:04 PM »
Similar, to a limited extent

Extremely limited... in fact, minutely.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 15:56:43 PM »
Help, lead or push?
Sorry Scorcher, I intended the missing word to be "lead".

UBT, I thought this speech much better than previous EU Parliament speeches I have heard by him that were based mostly on petty personal abuse. Whether this is enough for him to lead an OUT campaign I doubt. The Outers are already divided into three different campaigns {UKIP being one of them} that don't seem to want to speak to each other and if Britain does vote OUT then I am sure each one will insist it was their doing. However, he does make one very strong point that has concerned me this year. In one word - Greece. I am sure that, nearer the referendum, CBF will have a thread dealing with the IN/OUT vote for the issues to be debated more generally. For me the German persecution of Greece on political rather than economic/financial grounds will be a major concern. Even the IMF, an arch-capitalist outfit, proposed that half of the Greek debt should be "forgiven" but this was rejected by German politicians performing for their own voters and responding to the demands of the German banks that were daft enough to over extend themselves in Greece in the first place. Greece had to made to suffer, perhaps for a whole generation, to appease German appetites for retribution.

{In this tirade I have quite wrongly generalized about all of Germany so should insert "some" in front of "Germans" and "German banks" and "German politicians". But tirades don't really work when you start messing about them in this way].

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 17:48:05 PM »
Similar, to a limited extent, to Churchill in the run up too and the early stages of WW2, and indeed De Gaulle during WW2 and after it with the creation of the fifth republic.
I think that the similarity is more with Horatio Bottomley MP, but NF hasn't been caught yet.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 18:59:38 PM »

Farage is a brilliant speaker and seems in tune with a large slice of the population. Not afraid to kick a few kennels either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf