Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Just Marian

Fleas
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 13:16:19 PM »
Peecee, I googled it and yes there are two species - dog fleas and cat fleas.
Here is what it said:

Cat and dog fleas are very similar in appearance and both species can live on both cats and dogs.  Humans are mainly attacked by cat fleas.  The cat and dog flea are so similar in appearance and bilology that for practical purposes they can be described under the same heading.

Offline biker1

Fleas
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 14:58:59 PM »
I have used the flea and tick treatment from the UK - bought a pack for a large dog and instead of using the 2 tubes for each treatment used one instead each month on my small dog - worked really well.

If you can't get it from the UK - I noticed that Kent vets (beside Migros in Fethiye)were selling packs at 20TL for 3 treatments which would seem cheaper than your 15TL for one treatment.

Can also recommend 'Bobo' shampoo also in Kent vet - I think that was about 20TL for a large plastic bottle last time I bought one.

Offline peecee

Fleas
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
The thought of trying to wash a cat doesn't appeal to me:D

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Fleas
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
I think it would only appeal to a masochist, LOL!!

Offline scouser2

Fleas
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
We bought a spray from our vet in the U.K. It's for spraying beds, carpets, curtains and upholstery.Any fleas or eggs that come into contact with it are killed instantly. It's called Staykill or RIP. It costs about £25, but is effective for 12-18 months. We get about 4 full apartment sprays per canister. So it costs about £25 for 4-6 years protection, plus our dog has an allergy to Frontline.

Offline Just Marian

Fleas
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »
Yes the spray cans are great for around the house. Luckily, my five adopted strays have not been in the house (yet!) to deposit flea eggs and larve around! But they hang around the patio door at feeding time in an orderly queue and share their fleas!

My two dogs, who are in the house, had two fleas on them which I managed to catch. They have Paraband collars on which are for fleas, ticks and sandfly, so I dont't expect the fleas would have lived/stayed long on them but they still could lay eggs in the rugs. So yes these sprays are definitly handy for around the home.

The cats have the spot on stuff applied now at 75TL ! And also very importantly, they were all wormed last week (including tapeworm)
Their outside beds were all washed at the same time as the spot treatment.
But this is only going to last 4 weeks! I dont know if I will pay another 75TL for more Frontline here. Thankfully, I have friends coming out in September who will bring me Frontline from the UK, a heck of a lot cheaper.

Offline june

Fleas
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 17:40:29 PM »
Hi Marion,

I will bring you some we are over on 20th August, its the least I can do with you taking care of so many of the stray cats.
I help Animal Aid quite a lot and I think prople like you do help to make their life a little easier.

You will have to let me know how to get it to you or if you want me to drop it off somewhere for you?.
June
x

Offline Just Marian

Fleas
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 22:17:07 PM »
Oh thanks very much June, that is very kind of you! it will help the cats to be much more comfortable, they have been itching like mad, poor things.
I will settle up with you - absolutely no problem at all.

Apparently, the cats did once belong to Turkish neighbours who have gone and the cats were left to fend for themselves. They found me very quickly soon after we arrived here, bless them!
They are still slightly wary of people, but are trusting us more as time goes on, which is lovely.

Will pm you June. x

Offline Old Daffodil

Fleas
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 22:31:21 PM »
Fleas hate Earl Grey tea. If you open the tea bags and shake them out where the cats sit it discourages fleas.You can also sprinkle it in the carpet and leave for a day or two then hoover up. Salt is also effective used in the same way in the carpet.

Fleas also hate Rosemary.
Boil 2 cups of water add 2 tablespoons of dried Rosemary or I tablespoon of fresh Rosemary to the water and allow to cool.
Once cool strain and pour into a plastic spray bottle.
Spray on to the cat, bedding,carpets and anywhere the cat likes sitting.
Worth a try anyway.  :)
Another natural product fleas hate is lemon.
Slice a lemon,leave peel on, pour one cup of boiling water over the lemon and cut a little slit in the sides of the lemon slices.
Allow to sit overnight.
Dilute with another cup of water and using cotton wool sponge cat with lemon and water solution. You can also spray the cat with this as long as you avoid the eyes and nose.
A cat I once had was allergic to chemicals and I had to use herbal remedies.

Be careful if you use essential oil remedies, they are not really suitable for cats.  

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 18:39:58 PM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf