Author Topic: Scottish Referendum.  (Read 2109 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Re: Scottish Referendum.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 22:22:33 PM »
We live in sunny tropical south England, Gordon is upset because he is not allowed or is unable to vote, we have English friends along with every other nationality who can vote in the referendum, he is not amused.  Yet if we lived in Spain (or elsewhere for that matter) we could still use a proxy postal vote for the UK general elections.
We have family in Scotland, the younger generation think it is a joke or romantic, a niece told us, she can't wait to paint her face blue and shout freedom!  Gordon has told her that there is nothing stopping her from doing that now.  The older generation think more of the possible negative implications for the future, what will happen to the children of today or their grandchildren.

Has Alex Salmond really thought this through?  forget the romantics for a moment, the world has moved on and the are more ways now to "skin a cat" we have technology and it can be used to advantage, they don't need to bring out the broadswords and do battles on a muddy field.
This is Scotland, independent, where is this money coming from?  for... Embassies around the world, they don't come cheap;  new offices dealing with DVLA (Department of Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency), Passport offices, and most importantly no more UK National Lottery (ok I jest).   The loss of jobs in the Naval shipping, they will have to move south, financial headquarters, the EU dictate that they have to be in the country that own them, so that is loss of jobs.

Alex Salmond and the £, yes he can have the pound, he can call it whatever he likes, but how much is the Scottish pound going to be worth, what is there to back it up.  Agreed other countries have a shared currency, Hong Kong Dollars, last time I looked you had to have 7 Hong kong dollars to the USA Dollar.   So, will there be 10 Scottish Pounds to the UK Sterling?  how to devalue the currency in one vote, So how much will your savings be worth? 
 Now independence from the rest of the UK, England, Wales and Northern Ireland;  They, Scotland will be in control of all all they own.  They can now pay for everything they want from all they own, they pay their own benefits, taxes, medical treatment, schools, Roads highways taxes etc.   I have asked this question and no answer, what is the accountability of the freedom?, how much money is coming in compared to what is going out? where is the funding coming from? Alex Salmond, the only man in over 200 years to pit Scot against Scot, nice one Alex, you have got your place in the history books, but no romance.   I wish them all the luck in the world, they will need it.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 22:50:13 PM »
Will you marry me Loz   :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 00:17:12 AM »
Will you marry me Loz    :)

Come and get her , my very, very great friend !!

It will NEVER happen , independence that is, the Scots people of a certain, knowledgeable age, will not let it happen, and then we shall see where Salmond disappears to, when his magalomaniacal bubble bursts !!

Offline davybill

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
can you manage a 22year old Highlander? haha,

Offline Lotty

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
She's a wise young thing though!   ;)

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 18:21:11 PM »
If Scotland votes 'YES' what will happen to the many thousands of Scots currently serving in the British Forces?  Will Scotland be responsible for maintaining it's own defence forces?  Will Scottish Forces personnel be given the option to change their allegiance?  What about their pensions? Who will be responsible for paying them if Scotland becomes independent?  Alex Salmond is only interested in one thing and that is not the welfare of the Scottish people.

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »
 The Queen was in Glasgow and bumped into Alex Salmond.
HMtQ:  How nice to see you Mr Salmond.
AS:  Nice to see you Ma’am. Now, what are we going to call Scotland when we win Independence? How about calling it a Kingdom, and then I’ll be a King?
HMtQ:  No, we don’t like that.
AS:  Empire, and I'll be Emperor?
HMtQ:  No.
AS:  Alright, so how about calling it a Principality, and then I’ll be a Prince?
HMtQ:  No Mr Salmond, I suggest we call it a Country and you can carry on as you are.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf