Author Topic: People Held Captive in London  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
People Held Captive in London
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
An ex-neighbour says she saw one of the women holding messages up to the upstairs window but "Because [the window] was so high up and [the notes] were in biro, I could never read what they were saying, so I feel desperately sad if she was trying to communicate something there."

Wouldn't every single one of us, seeing someone holding a message up to a window on more than one occasion, at least mention it to the police?

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
Re: People Held Captive in London
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »
No that is an idea of what should happen but in these increasingly detached days where people are not overly bothered about their neighbours this reaction is not a surprise.

Needless to say it is also a reflection of the individual mentioned mentality, enough said!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »
Amazing,but in this day and age, people do not want to get involved and keep themselves to themselves, particularly in big cities.
However, where we live in a country area, someone was keeping two horses that were in a bad state and two people got together and called the Authorities.  The horses where moved within 4 days, one was looked after and brought back to good health  and was re homed the other was put down as there was no hope for it.   
I took phone calls from the owner accusing everyone and this person blamed everyone else and could and would not accept that they did anything wrong.  After all the flack and repercussions I can see why sometime people do not want to step up to the plate, but on reflection I am glad these horses were rescued. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
I don't want to get involved these days either, but if someone was doing as the lady described, I doubt I'd get through that day without having to at least report what I saw. It absolutely amazes me that she walked on by and reflects on it now rather than then.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
I agree, Scunner. I can't, try as I might, not get involved if I see something I know is not right. I end up with a sharp toothed bug chewing away at my conscience.

I've reported suspected child cruelty on two occasions. Despite the promises of the Social Services on the second occasion, my reporting the incident was not kept confidential and both myself and my daughter received a lot of very unpleasant hassle from the perpetrator. However, we got over it and I made sure that my daughter (11years old at the time and the one who alerted me to her friend's predicament) understood that lots of things in life are difficult to deal with but it is always important to do the right thing.

On both occasions, there was sufficient evidence to prove cruelty, the children were removed safely and I have never regretted my decision.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
Unbelievable !

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 15:49:19 PM »
Some years ago I saw a policeman being beaten up on steps leading to a beach in Weymouth.
I ran up and after a bit of a fight I managed to detain the attacker for about 30 minutes until two more
policemen arrived. During that time, on a narrow set of steps,with the policeman lying injured,
me down on the floor restraining this bloke, people, some with kids, were just stepping over us
to get to and from the beach.I couldn't believe it
So i'm not surprised at this woman being ignored. Sad state of affairs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf