Author Topic: Google Earth  (Read 5060 times)

Offline BlackAdder

Google Earth
« on: March 08, 2008, 23:03:32 PM »
Does anyone use google earth ?

I was thinking maybe that we could create a set of places on there so that when places are mentioned, people could find it on the map. I think it would help first time visitors (like I will be) to plan where they are going.
I'm able to pull off pictures, create placemarkers and host files, but I don't know where much is there.

For those that haven't tried it, you can zoom in to anywhere on Earth, with varying degrees of magnification, a couple of examples are attached, a distant view of Calis and (I hope) a close up of the Hotel Mutlu.

Offline julesbob0303

Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 23:07:46 PM »
It's really good.  We can't find our apartment on there in Gunlukbasi.  Don't know how often Google Earth is updated.  Our apartment is very new (finished in November) and there is no sign at all of the small complex, near the football stadium, which is really disappointing.  I thought I'd be able to zoom in and keep an eye on it when we're not in Turkey!

Julie

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Google Earth
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 23:09:09 PM »
I don't think the football stadium is really disappointing.

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Google Earth
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:41:18 AM »
It doesn't look as if it's been updated for 3 years or so. Don't think it's much older than that as the Water slide going into the pool at Buse opposite us can be seen & we were there when they built it. The google map of our UK place is older as there is still a caravan on our drive that we got rid of 5 yrs ago.

I put a few things on the 1st map which is about 1-1.5km. The 2nd map covers around 8km in total & there are quite a few areas marked - don't know if they are all correct as they are marked on google itself.

The 3rd map I didn't realise you could do until tonight - you can click on roads & it overlays the road system & names & numbers Sokaks - pity the roads are fractions out from actual roads as it makes it a bit blurry BUT at least you can now use google if someone gives you a street address. VERY useful.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 02:48:14 AM by lindacarl »

Offline tonysue

Google Earth
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:42:13 PM »
Yes, we have plotted our place on the google map in Calis also. I dont know how accurate it is or when updated  but the waterslide at Busstop bar was still there last november, Also our place is on sokak 1028, but google have it as sokak 1255.

Offline julesbob0303

Google Earth
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »
Lol Scunner - you know what I mean!  The football stadium is not at all disappointing, specially when theres a match on and we can sit on our balcony with an Efes and watch the game!  Well, hubby does anyway.  Dare I say it - I'm not really a football fan!

Anyway, I want to start a petition for Google Earth to be updated, so that we can see our apartment.  Anyone fancy signing?!!  Julie

Offline Flamingo

Google Earth
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 17:13:00 PM »
Hello

Like the google earth Picture

How do you mark it to show your place ??

Frank

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Google Earth
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 17:58:34 PM »
Koca Calis ;

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Google Earth
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 18:01:36 PM »
Hi Frank,

On the top menu there is a yellow push pin, click on that, click on the map where you want it and a box opens for you to put in any details you want to add to it.

Stoop has yet to do one for his favourite landmark, "Oben Corner: Efes 1.75 YTL"

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Google Earth
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 20:53:15 PM »
Here's one I did earlier :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf