Author Topic: wealth  (Read 4272 times)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
wealth
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 02:07:52 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

Oh god not yet another Scottish illusion!  

Swedes that look like Turnips and vice versa:D: :) ;)

Swedes are turnips are they not?

Offline Diverbaz 1

wealth
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 06:20:44 AM »

Swedes are from Sweden, Turnips come from earth:D:D ;)

Baz 8)PS they are different, turnips are white and swedes are pale orange colour.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
wealth
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »
EXACTLY Baz you are correct, but don't let the Scots know:D

Gordon came home from work one evening and asked what was for dinner, I told him Beef roast and Swede.  Dished up and he said "Wheres my swede" we spent the dinner discussing what the difference is between Swede and Turnip.

It all became clear when we visited Gordon's mum in scotland, I went to Safeway and there in the vegetable section were Swedes and Turnips, Gordon stood there with a very smug look on his face, he didn't see me swap the labels around as we walked away.

An ENGLISH Swede (Scottish Turnip)

An ENGLISH Turnip (Scottish Swede)

I rest my case!

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
wealth
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 18:57:25 PM »
Turnips and swedes are both members of the cabbage family and are closely related to each other - so close that it is not surprising that their names are often confused. For instance, swedes are sometimes called Swedish turnips or swede-turnips and in Scotland, where they are thought of as turnips, they are called neeps.[/b] Nowadays, the confusion is not so acute. Many greengrocers and supermarkets sell early or baby turnips or, better still, French turnips - navets. Both are small and white, tinged either with green or in the case of navets, with pink or purple. Consequently, people are learning to tell their swedes from their turnips and also discovering what a delicious vegetable the turnip is.

No wonder we are confused there are swedish turnips and turnips.

thank goodness we have brains in Scotlnad and call them something different NEEPS:D

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
wealth
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 18:59:51 PM »
We went to a rather nice hotel outside Perth for lunch and Neep with a cream sauce was served as the veg , It was good:P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 19:01:07 PM by heather07 »

Offline cazaustralia

wealth
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 06:01:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SteveJ

Caz - are you from this part of Scotland? My partner Jean (spivvyniven on CBF) comes from Catrine and her family still live in Ayr. We won't be back up there until Hogmany so we'll miss you but there's a good chance that we could meet you in or around Calis if you eventually settle there.

Steve & Jean, apologies for delay in replying, I'm still getting lost & losing my way around the forum. I've spent many a year in & around Ayr. We're now settling in Calis & look forward to having a drink with you one day.
Caz

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
wealth
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 07:00:43 AM »
So you are living in Calis now then Caz, not heard an Aussie accent round here since the semi finals of the Aussie rules semi-finals, Alan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf