Author Topic: Should we invest?  (Read 9307 times)

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
Should we invest?
« on: May 19, 2015, 14:15:20 PM »
We have recently sold a property in uk which we rented out. We now have money sitting in a uk bank account paying approx 0.01% interest! I am wondering if now is a good time to invest a few thousand in turkey? In view of the current exchange rate, and the interest rates, could anybody advise me on the best place to invest for a monthly interest that I could withdraw when I am over on my Easter and summer holidays?  I am thinking of investing around £25000 either in joint names or split equally between two accounts, one in my name and one in my spouses. How do I get the £25000 into turkey and invest it in lira Ie approx 100000 TL at present? I am based in fethiye, so would need a bank in fethiye. Many thanks for info.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Should we invest?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 14:21:52 PM »
Just send the £25k to me and I'll send you back £15k in six months time.  No awkward transfers and I won't even look for a management fee.   :)

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 14:50:11 PM »
sue mac
If JohnF had been rather less pithy he might have said it ain't the smartest thing to decide on investing £25k based on what people on a forum might say. Actually, I guess you'll be making up your mind based on rather better research than that. I never advise anyone on investing, but here's a couple of calculations to consider:

1. In the UK, open a Santander 123 current account and transfer your direct debits there. This pays 3% up to £20k. The sum is: 3% less tax (at 20%) is 2.4% take inflation into account (-0.1%) = 2.5% increase.

2. In Turkey, open an account with a bank that pays 9% less tax (at 15%) is 7.65% then take inflation into account at 7.9% = -0.25% = 0.25% loss.

There are UK accountsthat pay better than Santander and there are also lots of ISAs (cash and stocks&shares that don't pay tax). You have plenty of choice.

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 15:09:11 PM »
Thanks colwyn....obviously I am not going to make my decisions purely on answers on here....I'm just after a few different opinions. Some people you speak to reckon its a no brainer, others wouldn't put a penny into the country. ..I've got the Santander 123 account and will be maximising ISAs.  I'm lucky that the £25000 is only a small portion of the sale money. I'm also paying off our mortgage. This may sound stupid, but if I am leaving the money there to draw out the interest on my two visits per year, how am I affected by the high inflation? I don't live there, and am not purchasing on a daily basis. Interest of 7% + seems a decent rate to get me a few thousand lira spending money every July. .....? Thanks again

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 15:20:47 PM »
If you are buying goods and services in Turkey you will pay Turkish inflation. If you had kept your money nice and safe in Sterling on 19th May last year your £ would buy over 14% more TL today. So you wouldn't have to worry about 7.9% inflation since you'd still be ahead.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 17:29:53 PM »
And the Turkish banks I have used make regular charges, so these soon bring the capital down

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 17:05:43 PM »
Most of the Turks reckon the lira will drop after the elections.....what's your view on this? Not holding anybody to ransom, just want the general opinion!?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 17:41:51 PM »
I wonder what currency these Turks hold their savings in? Or bullion.of course.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 18:00:04 PM »
We have some money in a Turkish Bank, and have made good interest on it in the past. 

Offline Yoshi

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 20:11:36 PM »
Hello,
We are also considering investing in Turkey
Littlereddevil can you elaborate on what these charges are or and the bank your with.
Thank you in advance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf