Author Topic: Internet Banking ?. Advice please  (Read 4176 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Internet Banking ?. Advice please
« on: October 26, 2017, 20:04:06 PM »
We have an old TEB Lira and GBP account but never use them.   A combination of not wanting to waste hours in the Bank every trip , and being cautious about "trusting" Turkish banks with chunks of money  ...despite the good interest rates !

However, given the exchange rate and a few other things we want to look at putting some cash in Turkey and benefiting frrm the interest rates here.

I have had a browse through the Forum.   I saw the mention of Internet banking.    How many people use it ?.  Does it work OK ?.   Can you open up an account from the UK and deposit money from the UK ?

TEB look like they have an english language internet banking website.    Is there any other ones worth looking at ?. 

Any advice greatly appreciated :-)

Offline LeeGlo

Re: Internet Banking ?. Advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 21:40:42 PM »
I think you will need to be in Turkey to open the account or to activate internet banking on an existing account. Whichever bank you choose, you will need to nominate a mobile telephone number in person for the "one use PIN" they send to your mobile to log on.

We banked with TEB, Garanti and Seker Bank when we lived in Fethiye. TEB & Sekers' internet banking is pretty straightforward and in English, as are most of the banks in Turkey. We did find Garanti Banks' internet site the easiest to use though.

I think if you nominate a UK mobile you should be able to operate the account from the UK, we never tried as we lived full time in Fethiye.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
Internet banking in Turkey is a breeze and much more secure in my opinion with higher security measures to access your account/s than internet banking in the UK.

Personally I find Finansbank, and ING which went from the most difficult site to navigate to the easiest after a lot of negative feedback, the easiest of the 4 internet banking sites I use to navigate. ING does have this very annoying habit of demobilising your internet account if you don't check it regularly (once every three months) and relegating the status to "passive" which means you can't make any transactions online.

Şekerbank and Garanti I found not to be so user friendly.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 14:12:07 PM »
Thanks LeeGlo & Nichola :-)

Offline steveb1

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 20:23:10 PM »
I use hsbc and think it’s 1st class I can transfer to the uk free of charge ( must have a hsbc acc in the uk ) or visa versa . I feel any moneys in hsbc turkey are safe and the manager at fethiye branch has helped me with investments. And general advise about banking in turkey

Offline devindazzle

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 04:19:50 AM »
I'm sure the HSBC in fethiye closed down?  Or did it relocate?

Offline yabanci

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 05:20:08 AM »
No,its still there in the same place on Carsi Cad.  :)

Offline madmart

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »
I use hsbc and think it’s 1st class I can transfer to the uk free of charge ( must have a hsbc acc in the uk ) or visa versa . I feel any moneys in hsbc turkey are safe and the manager at fethiye branch has helped me with investments. And general advise about banking in turkey

HSBC charge for transferring from the UK to Turkey, unless you have a Premier Account.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 16:48:16 PM »
Thanks for the additional info folks :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf