Author Topic: Some advice please, Re: Moving to Turkey TEFL  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Kirsty26

Some advice please, Re: Moving to Turkey TEFL
« on: September 15, 2012, 14:50:42 PM »
Hi

I have just returned from my 7 trip to Calis and as with all my visits I really didnt want to leave.

I have been looking into doing a TEFL course, i know this means that I wont be able to teach in Government schools because I dont have a teaching degree as well but was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

Many thanks and best wishes x

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Some advice please, Re: Moving to Turkey TEFL
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 15:59:04 PM »
You could contact the English and More Language school in Fethiye for advice although according to this web site this school is no longer offered or recommended by LanguageCourse.Net!!!

http://www.languagecourse.net/school-englishmore-international-learning-centre-fethiye.php3

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 16:57:04 PM »
Haven't they moved to Hisaronu ?

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 18:13:27 PM »
Yes, Bostans is now on the old English & More building

Offline Harmless

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 18:17:54 PM »
You can do the TEFL at many local colleges in the UK. Do bear in mind though, that qualification or not, you will still have to have a work permit in order to work here.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 18:10:47 PM »
My son has just done this course two weeks ago over the course of a weekend think he paid £200. Not too sure of the details but I can find out more from him if you would like me to, if so pm me and I will ask Jack  :)

Offline cathy h

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 13:44:30 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

My advice would also be to check out the TEFL course providers. They vary immensely. I completed mine 6 years ago, and even though I was already a qualified teacher having completed a CertED, I still found the course challenging.
My course entailed a huge amount of written assignments, and took me a long time (partly due to the fact that I was also working full time and often away from home).

I do know that there are much quicker and easier ways of doing a TEFL, but wonder how well prepared people then feel when placed in front of a class.

Here in the Fethiye area, some private schools will apply for your work visa for you, and legally you can only work for that school. If you wish to move, then you need to reapply again.
In terms of salary, not great generally (but that was 6 years ago)

As previously said, English and More are now in Hisaronu,  not sure how busy they are now and what they are asking of potential teachers.
When they were first interviewing for staff, they were looking for graduates with CELTA, but I believe that they later relaxed their requirements.

Good luck, not surprised that you would love to come and live here - we love it.
Cathy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf