Author Topic: Tipping & Haggling  (Read 4557 times)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 17:49:37 PM »
Abysmal service or food doesn't actually get a tip from me either.
I also refuse to pay a normal tip if we're offered 'free' coffee or tea & it ends up on the bill - do they think we're stupid?
I have a pretty good idea of how much our total bill should be so if it's above what I expect & I can see the price of say water has been vastly inflated - this also comes off the tip.
Taxi drivers - no way!
I must admit that we don't tip as often as in the past now - the local place we use the most, due to mine & others recommendations on here has increased prices quite dramatically - up 100% on many dishes in 3 years.
Why do I keep on recommending places? Please ignore any future ones from myself.

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 19:33:40 PM »
Please dont haggle in Migros or any other supermarket.
Take no notice of catalogue prices in furniture shops or electrical shops, would you pay mrsp in UK?
If you pay cash you should expect at least 10% off the catalogue price, more with a good haggle.
Have been in one electrical shop where they tried to charge us the catalogue credit price on a tv, glad I can read enough Turkish to know what was happening, but have heard of others being caught on that one.
You must haggle on the market (not for groceries unless you are buying loads).
Haggle at Jewellery shops.
Although we try for 30 to 50% off we dont really expect to get that much off its just a starting bid, the trader may come back with 10% so you say 25% and so on.
If you get yourself a really good deal the trader will expect cash, dont offer him a credit card.
Above all else enjoy yourself, in some stores you are expected to haggle and the tea or raki will come out to loosen things up a little.

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »
Nice one Smudge - wish I had that info 2 years ago!

Offline m495

Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »
Thanks for all of your replies.

Will give haggling our best shot and hopefully grab some bargains.

Only a 12 days to go!

Margaret.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:45:30 PM by m495 »

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 22:08:20 PM »
Excellent replies there, and I can only echo them, especially not tipping taxi drivers, no way, We cut down alot on our tipping this year all of those liras add up. We do tip if we have had good service and a good meal,we always tip on the boat trips, but when a taxi driver stands there fumbling for change,stand and wait for it.A turkish taxi driver told our friend to stop being so nice to tourists when he was getting a price back to Calis for us, and then charged us more than the agreed price, making excuses he had gone a different way, he defo never got a tip, the little rip off merchant.Just use your loaf where you can, Happy Holiday.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf