Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296382 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
Prime Minister Davutoglu, off talking finance in New York, has said he has been in touch with Turkish Central Bank and that "every kind of measure" will be taken to stop the slide of the lira. People have interpreted this as Basci having permission to intervene again in defence of the lira which has responded significantly stronger today against £ and steady against $. I haven't heard of any commentary by RTE about this statement. Will it last? Does it mean Basci can raise interest rates or just postpone reducing them? When is the next Erdogan rant coming?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/03/06/markets-turkey-idUKL5N0W813L20150306

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
Direct correlation between an improving TL and Reg keeping his mouth shut!!! Can't last though.....

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
I suspect we won't see much more movement today, Monday will be the test.  Fridays afternoons tend to be fairly quiet on the currency front...  too many large lunches to be enjoyed from the profits of the preceding week.  Could be wrong though!

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2015, 14:01:27 PM »
Plus the fact that Reg is extra careful on prayer day, and anyway he has probably dropped in on Mecca on the way back to Turkey from the Saudi Arabia visit.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 14:26:46 PM by usedbustickets »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2015, 14:18:05 PM »
He is doing his homework. I am expecting him to announce on Monday that he has discovered the conspiracy between Hismet's parallel state and the interest rate lobby that has been behind Turkey's recent problems.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2015, 18:17:53 PM »
Coinmill giving 4.00   :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2015, 18:56:25 PM »
xe.com are only offering 3.96 now.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2015, 19:24:20 PM »
Coinmill giving 4.00    :)

Must be an error.  Coinmill uses yahoo finance data and they're showing a high of 3.99 for the day.

JF

Offline madmart

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2015, 20:07:42 PM »
Looks like we'll be giving the Clarity Card a kicking when we come over!!!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »
It is a soap opera. First, PM Davutoglu says after his meeting with financiers in New York that the Central Bank will do whatever it takes to stabilize the currency and Monday is a good day for the lira. Second, Erdogan's best buddy Economy Minister Zeybekei on TV says the CB doesn't have to do anything because everything is fine and Tuesday is a bad day for the lira. Thirs, at the end of Tuesday afternoon Davutoglu says CB is doing a great job and stresses its independence and, guess what, so far Wednesday is a good day for the lira. So the ball is now back with the Erdogan gang to sabotage this improvement. Continuing ... on the ever popular "Life with the AKP", daily installments.

When RTE moved to the Presidency and built Xanadu I thought, along with most people I guess, that Davutoglu was just a glove puppet. But now he seems to have allied with Deputy PM Babacan (architect of AKP "economic miracle" of the first ten years of AKP government) and Babacan's close mate Basci at the CB. Splits in AKP now seem to be coming to the fore - and not just on economic/financial matters. Perhaps Gul will stand in June (does anyone know?) and help to stir things further. Is RTE scheme of transferring real power from the Prime Ministry to the Presidency going to be possible?

But now, back to the continuing saga of "What the Lira did Next".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf