Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296483 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2015, 13:36:35 PM »
Click, 2.93.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2015, 13:58:41 PM »
Click. 2.94.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »

Has touched  3.00 to the dollar and a new record according to the Hurriet Daily News

TL 4.64 to the pound

Turkeys Election date is  November 1st.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2015, 08:54:32 AM »
Yes, the markets started with a bang today with the $ rocketing to 3 and the £ following it to 2.7 before they both settled back. Basci has said he is saving rate rises until the Fed increases its own interest rates. Although this could happen in September it might be postponed to March 2016. Favourite in the betting is December. However this would still be a long period of inaction. Since last Wednesday the lira has lost 6.4% against the $. Can the Turkish economy really afford to bleed away at this rate for months?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »
Basci has said he is saving rate rises until the Fed increases its own interest rates. Although this could happen in September it might be postponed to March 2016. Favourite in the betting is December.
That would be the first opportunity after Reg's likely enforced General Election in November....so much for the Turkish Central Bank independence, and they wonder why the lira continues to plummet!!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2015, 09:53:24 AM »

The economy would be allowed to bleed by the bucketful if it serves the ambitions of the "Great One".

A few months ago I suggested the Lira would climb to 5.00 to the pound. I stand by that.

I feel sorry for poorer Turkish folk.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »
Given that Basci almost found himself charged with "treason" for not doing little Reginalds bidding earlier on in the year, I don't think it's any surprise that the TCB appear to now toe the party line.  As Colwyn said, the lira fell to 4.70 against the pound and over 3.00 before rallying slightly - nobody in Ankara appears to have a solution, although they're quick to point fingers of blame...

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:11 AM »

I'ts the turn of the Interest Lobby to carry the can this time.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2015, 17:29:43 PM »
Strange activity today?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2015, 17:47:05 PM »
In a way Scunner. I think for the last week the daily pattern has been lira dropping like a stone in the morning then recovering in the afternoon (although sometimes falling back at the end of the day). The difference today has been the scale of the recovery. Apart from increasing main rates, or tinkering with fringe rates, the Central Bank has two significant tools. One is Basci reassuring the money markets that he is on top of things and quite prepared to act when the right time comes. He used to be very keen on this confidence building five years ago and gained an international reputation among central bankers for his innovative approach (lots of CBs now put big emphasis on talking to key money market figures. The second thing is to chuck money at the problem. To use Turkey's dollar reserves to buy lira and shore it up. I haven't seen any reports on whether either of these have been happening today.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf