Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296502 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2015, 20:14:01 PM »

We are buying at a time when we think it's a good deal. Neither you or I have any idea what the rate will be next June - when we go out again. It just might go the other way - who knows?

Yes I do get it that you thought that 4.5/£ was probably a better deal than you felt you could get next June so you invested now.

I think that is nonsense :D - but I further agree with you that the rate could go up or down, and that nobody knows for sure.

I reckon the rate in June will be better for those with pounds than the 4.5 you got. You think in all probability the exact opposite is likely. Fair enough, different views are good.

I have £30 to a charity of your choice if the rate in June next year is lower than 4.5/£ - I am that confident - are you £30 to charity confident that you got a good deal (i.e. if the rate next June will be higher than 4.5 you pay £30 to a charity of my choice)? :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #371 on: September 19, 2015, 00:25:52 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4</a>

:D

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #372 on: September 19, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
Thought this would be of interest... It's about Turkeys place at the G20 but illustrates how the weakening lira will impact on the economy. Tough talking from Basci too!

Erdem Basci, governor of Turkey’s Central Bank, said, “What we need most at this phase is a boost [of] confidence. G-20 will help in that.”

Turkey has delayed essential economic reforms, has not been able to cope with terror, has not achieved stable politics, has squandered ways of giving confidence to the markets and has sustained losses in national income. In short, it is teetering on uncertainty, hoping to salvage its economy by gaining the confidence of the world with this summit.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/09/turkey-danger-of-loosing-its-place-g20-declining-income.html#ixzz3mAk83NBG

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2015, 01:26:02 AM »
As a poor retired person I'll take you on for £20 Scunner.

Charity of winners choice.

However I never said I thought the lira would be stronger next June. I actually said I couldn't give a damn based on the fact it won't make that much difference to me.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »
Deal? Someone else might want to take the other tenner off you?  :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #375 on: September 20, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »
I actually said I couldn't give a damn based on the fact it won't make that much difference to me.
You are right Stoops it is not - well at this stage anyway - about losing or gaining everything, it is about marginal loss or gain.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #376 on: September 20, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »
Deal? Someone else might want to take the other tenner off you?    :)

Someone else? No it's only you I want to have this easy money earning game with Stoop - nobody will be taking any money off me :D

So yes, it's a deal. Let's call it 4.667 today - please confirm the date your holiday commences next year and we'll use the XE midday rate then.

Oh and I'm so convinced that a tightarse Yorkshireman "couldn't give a damn" if his hard earned several hundred quid loses value in less than a year - maybe being worth only £70 or less - that's so typically the Stoop I have known for over 10 years   ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #377 on: September 21, 2015, 09:58:08 AM »
Not booked yet but 1st June looks good. Let's go for that.

If it goes to 5 we will be about £48 down. I won't lose any sleep - even being a tight Yorkshireman.

Anyway just found out my son won 10,000 ytl at poker the other week so I can always make him an offer

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #378 on: September 21, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »
Anyway - just booked a month in Thailand. Baht is looking weak too

Offline davybill

« Reply #379 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »
As a poor retired person, are you staying in a mud hut in Thailand,   For a month? LOL.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf