Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296397 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #430 on: February 23, 2016, 17:08:24 PM »
The Calis Exchange shop was offering a poorer 4.01 on their board outside today.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #431 on: February 23, 2016, 17:16:42 PM »
Ouch!!

That's brutal and maybe getting even worse.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #432 on: February 23, 2016, 17:33:08 PM »

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2016, 17:58:53 PM »
For me and anyone else exchanging pound notes for Turkish lira.

Efes is going to be champagne prices by September.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #434 on: February 24, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »
Ah, right.

So if it heads north to five to the pound you'll be ecstatic then?

In my opinion there is no great advantage for the majority of members of this forum for the Turkish lira to either go into freefall or hit a serious low against the major currencies.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Ok, there are a few benefits to a weak lira - those with Sterling pensions get a bit more each month, the Efes will appear to be cheaper allowing for larger and more toxic hangovers and eating out, on the face of it, will be cheaper.  Unfortunately, due to the current political & security situation in Turkey a weak lira is not going to bring tourists to the country in their droves like previous years, so that benefit is out the window...

All of the above are short term benefits.

Inflation is already eroding the additional lira pensioners get - the next round of tax and utility increases could be heftier than the last. 

Fewer tourists means less profits to the small businesses who sell you that Efes and food, the majority of them paying their rent in USD, EUR or GBP - a weak lira means (in real terms) they pay more rent each month as they buy in and sell food and drink in lira. 

So, be careful what you wish for, that cheap Efes you desire in September may be there - unfortunately, when you go looking for "those little places we've used for years", finding them still open to sell you it may prove more difficult.

JF

Offline davybill

« Reply #435 on: February 24, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
Never mind, John F, the suns still shining in Calis,

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »
It's not in Istanbul, bit cloudy today according my colleague.  But in Dundee, gloriously sunny - although not quite "sitting outside" temperature yet  :)

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
Last June I took home 50TL that had cost me £12. There was much much merriment as its value faded to £11.01 over a few weeks. Now my 50TL is worth £12.25. Hooray I'm rich! Unfortunately I suppose Efes has been much more expensive in the meantime.

I recall on some lira thread we were discussing whether the £:TL rate was likely to go below 4 or above 5. Currently it is at 4.08 and just a gnat's wotsit away from going back to three point something.

Offline yabanci

« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2016, 16:19:17 PM »
Interest Rates were left untouched again, following the Central Bank's monthly meeting yesterday.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #439 on: February 24, 2016, 16:51:37 PM »
Last June I took home 50TL that had cost me £12. There was much much merriment as its value faded to £11.01 over a few weeks. Now my 50TL is worth £12.25. Hooray I'm rich!

Now, if you'd paid for that 50tl note in USD it's be a different story. 

At the time, it would have cost you $18.31 and now, if you changed it today, you'd get back $17 - which is not quite as bad as a few weeks ago when all you'd have got is $16 plus the odds.

Not so rosy and unfortunately its the USD that matters to Turkey. 

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf