Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296476 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #460 on: February 28, 2016, 15:43:32 PM »
Balık ekmek is now 8₺

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #461 on: February 28, 2016, 15:44:17 PM »
How much is an Effes

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #462 on: March 04, 2016, 15:37:05 PM »
The Lira has been doing well both in relation to the Pound (thanks to those Euroseptic twerps) but also against the Dollar - which had surprised me a little. But looking at the US financial press it seems there is transAtlantic concern about the falling Dollar. In February the $ hit a 15-month low against the Japanese Yen and performed badly against a basket of major international currencies. It seems the extraordinarily low price of oil, as well as general unhappiness about the US economy, is bringing down the mighty greenback. There are also fears that the Chinese Yuan might become a reserved currency and that this will undermine the prestige and power of the Dollar. This is one slice of good news for Turkish companies with Dollar debt.

[I'm not posting any links for this since there are lots under "falling dollar" in a search engine but I have found none that are both succinct and informative.]

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #463 on: March 07, 2016, 04:29:27 AM »
The pound has indeed suffered due to the reality that we might actually leave the Euro dictatorship. I'm sure it will recover once the dust settles.

I can see a few discussions in the near future on our June vote  ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #464 on: April 05, 2016, 17:02:26 PM »
The uncertainty over a possible EU exit is possibly a good thing for anyone stuck with TL who wants shot of it.  The GBP/TL rate is currently sitting at 4.01tl to the pound, with the lira strengthening to 3.99tl at one point earlier today.

The lira's gains against the pound have not been reflected in either the USD or EUR rates which makes me think now (or in immediate future) is a good time to offload any lira.  I suspect that if the EU vote in the UK is to keep the status quo we'll see these gains wiped out and the lira heading back towards 4.50 (to the pound) or thereabouts.

Then again, I could be talking bollox (again).

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2016, 18:27:19 PM »
I suspect that if the EU vote in the UK is to keep the status quo we'll see these gains wiped out and the lira heading back towards 4.50 (to the pound) or thereabouts.
It might be b.ll.x but if it isn't it will be too late for me anyway since my holiday in Turkey will be nearly over by then. Still, if there is a bounceback against the Euro as well that will help my September holiday in Portugal - the £ is rubbish for buying € at the moment. But suppose the vote goes the other way? Well, I guess British people won't be able to afford foreign holidays at all then.

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2016, 19:40:29 PM »
Or the cost of all the visas they might need too!!!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2016, 22:35:06 PM »
Still, if there is a bounceback against the Euro as well that will help my September holiday in Portugal - the £ is rubbish for buying € at the moment

Thats the one I'm hoping for.  The lira rate isnt really affecting me right now - short trips to Istanbul where I don't have time for boozy lunches in Nevizade or late nights in Ortakoy mean my lira spend is negligible, in comparison to previous years!

JF

Offline fernando torres

« Reply #468 on: April 06, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »
In response to Keith's question regarding the price of an Efes, Denizati 9.5 TL, Lukka in Calis 10 TL and along the front in Calis between 9.5 and don't know how true it is but was told some are even charging 12 TL, god knows what it will be in Olu Deniz !!

Offline yabanci

« Reply #469 on: April 08, 2016, 19:57:45 PM »
god knows what it will be in Olu Deniz !!

9Tl this evening for a large Effiz on Olu Deniz beachfront at The Kumsal Pide.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf