Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296311 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #520 on: June 21, 2016, 14:57:35 PM »
As a younger man I worked in a number of bookies' offices. I have no great trust in the knowledgedge they have - only their ability to do sums

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #521 on: June 21, 2016, 15:08:31 PM »
George Soros predicts the £ will lose 20% of value if the disaster of Brexit happens - and he's the chap that made billions out of Norman Lamont's bumbling incompetence in just a few hours some years ago.
Yes Soros the lover of the Euro, which he has always argued is the way the UK should go... so I do not think people need be by swayed by his overall judgement.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #522 on: June 21, 2016, 15:23:41 PM »
As a younger man I worked in a number of bookies' offices. I have no great trust in the knowledgedge they have - only their ability to do sums

I didn't say they were correct in their view, just that they have taken their lead from the financial markets. Or maybe its the other way round?

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #523 on: June 21, 2016, 15:24:20 PM »
Still not got the hang of the Quote function then, UBT. I say nothing about your grasp of finance.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #524 on: June 21, 2016, 15:31:31 PM »
I didn't say they were correct in their view, just that they have taken their lead from the financial markets. Or maybe its the other way round?
No, my view is that the odds are merely based on amounts of money at risk so that the bookmaker (nearly) always comes out on top. My guess is that a lot more money has been put down by Remain punters, so they won't get a lot back. Whether they are Remain voters we can't tell. Perhaps they are Leave voters thinking "Well at least if we lose the vote I'll have a few quid to console myself with the odd couple pints!". Bookies always hedge their bets; why not punters?

Offline davybill

« Reply #525 on: June 21, 2016, 15:53:04 PM »
Yes Colwyn im edging my bet a Pound each way.lol

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #526 on: June 21, 2016, 16:00:01 PM »
You aren't worried about a draw then?

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #527 on: June 21, 2016, 16:13:56 PM »
We will be fine. If it all goes wrong and the economy goes into recession Boris will go on national TV and apologies. I am sure that will be great solace to those who have lost their jobs and their homes.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #528 on: June 21, 2016, 16:38:48 PM »
Still not got the hang of the Quote function then, UBT. I say nothing about your grasp of finance.
Appears I have got the hang of it, cos I got your immediate attention and response!!

As to my grasp of finance, you are probably correct to say nothing, lest it exposes your own flawed analysis.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #529 on: July 21, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »
Bumpy ride ahead for the lira methinks - as Colwyn said on another thread its hitting all time lows against the USD dropping to 3.09 last night.  Seems to have recovered slightly, to 3.05, but if it carries on with the current trend it could make for a hard winter for many - oil & gas more expensive.

How the TCB deal with this will be interesting, they no longer have the pretty astute Mr Basci on board to fend off interference from the government.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf