Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 296393 times)

Offline yabanci

Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #1090 on: May 28, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
The lira has finished the week well; up 0.7% against $ and over 1% against € and £. Looks like Simsek's assurances that the Government will back any further actions the CB deems necessary have quietened things down.
Also started the week well. 4.56 to the Dollar and 6.08 to the Pound. Simsek's calming influence.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-lira-firms-as-deputy-pm-simsek-central-bank-chief-meet-investors-132460

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1091 on: May 28, 2018, 19:48:05 PM »
Under 6.00 to the quid by early/middle next week. Mibbe  :)

JF

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1092 on: May 30, 2018, 10:18:53 AM »
Didn't take that long.

5.97 this morning  :) and that's despite Moody's cutting their growth forecast for Turkey.

Looks a little bit like he is leaving Şimşek and Çetinkaya (TCB governor) to get on with the job.  Only possible bump in the road ahead is the election, and from the lira's perspective a resounding victory for AKP will likely further strengthen it.  However, a hung parliament may send it off again.  Who really knows  :)

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1093 on: May 30, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
Lira up 1.5% against £,$ and € this morning. For those playing Scunner's little game he has craftily made the target date on the middle Sunday between Round One and Round Two (if there is a second round).

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1094 on: May 30, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
Well, my 5.45 is looking good right now  ;)

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1095 on: May 30, 2018, 19:33:31 PM »
EUROPEAN banks fear the dramatic crash of the Turkish lira could spark a crisis reminiscent of the one that hit Wall Street financial institutions 20 years ago.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/967131/europe-banks-crisis-turkey-lira-crashing-us-dollar-recep-tayyip-erdoga

Offline Phil

« Reply #1096 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
It all sounds a bit Greek..........

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1097 on: May 31, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »
He didn't say whether Greece was involved but Foreign Minister Çavuşoğlu has stated it was an organized campaign masterminded abroad but he was not yet ready to name names.

“When it is time, we will announce [the details]. See how the credit rating agencies decrease their ratings?” the foreign minister asked, referring to Moody’s recent decision that slashed forecasts for Turkey’s economic growth, citing deepening market pressure and growing risks. They began working on how they could demolish Turkey through its economy after the July 15 coup attempt failed. We have managed to repel these attacks with minimum damage by taking precautions,” Çavuşoğlu said.“Some countries are in this scheme, as well as financial institutions and the interest rate lobby. These include some Muslim countries, too. I will not name names here, I am only drawing the framework.”

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-fm-accuses-some-muslim-countries-for-trying-to-demolish-economy-132594

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1098 on: May 31, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
I don't know whether it has anything to do with the Foreign Minister's intervention but the £ is back over 6 and the $ over 4.5. Şimşek must be busy devising exquisite tortures for Çavuşoğlu. We could have a UK versus  Turkey contest as to which has the barmiest FM.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1099 on: June 01, 2018, 09:58:33 AM »
Lira down 2% so far today.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf