Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122746 times)

Offline gillian handbury

Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
Great post Arty... Reading this in the sunshine in Calis.... Next weeks will be read in the cold...UK!!!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2016, 17:07:16 PM »
Gillian, you are so lucky to be there! The worst thing though, about any holiday is the coming home - not just the miserable change in the weather, but catching up on mail and everyday tasks. Never mind, you'll be back again soon! And the first days of Spring with balmy sunshine here in UK are magical. Around here, blossom trees are already starting to bloom!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2016, 16:54:10 PM »

end January 2011  London

BLOG 55: I smell the blood. . .

We have a regular stream of traffic into the house. A professional carer from Social Services comes every morning but seems to spend most of her time writing up her notes rather than bathing and attending to OH. That said, I’m grateful for any help, even if the face of that help changes from day to day.

My immediate neighbours have been kind, popping in to say hello and welcome OH back. He acknowledges them with a polite smile or nod, but doesn’t get into conversation which he leaves to me. I seem to be making endless cups of tea and answering the door – to friend, family, neighbour, carer. Sometimes I’d like to hang a sign on the front door reading ‘DO NOT DISTURB!’

There’s the doorbell. Hells Bells, I’m getting to hate the sound. There’s a youngish woman on the doorstep.

“Hello, I’m Nikki, the speech therapist” she announces with a smile “and I think we’ve met before-“ are you G’s mother?”
I peer at her, trying to recognize her face – and then usher her in, to meet her patient.

Small world. It turns out we have met before, many years ago when N was only 10 years old – a friend of our daughter, G in the last year of primary school. Now I remember the name and try to equate the face before me with the cheery dimpled, round face of the little girl of long ago. My goodness! We catch up on news of the intervening years and then she gets down to the business of coaxing odd breathy sounds out of OH. Among the exercises is the phrase he tried out in the clinic: “Ho! Ha! Ho! Hum! I smell the blood of an Englishmannnn!”

After an hour, she goes.

The doorbell rings (again).  It’s Durdana, my Asian neighbor who lives opposite. Although I’ve invited her to my home on a number of occasions (and I’ve been to hers to discuss mutual concerns about commuter parking on our road/ rubbish not cleared by the Council) this is the first time she’s visited me.  I want to make her feel welcome as I know she’s diffident about calling on me unannounced. “Do come in!” I say. “So nice to see you. Would you like a cup of tea?”

She’s just about to step over the threshold when a spooky, thin voice calls out from the rear lounge: “Ho! Ha! Ho! Hum! I smell the blood of an Englishmannnn!”

D looks startled. “No, no,” I say in a reassuring tone, “don’t worry – that’s just my OH. He’s –“

I’m interrupted by OH’s voice again from the rear lounge: “Ho! Ho! Ho! What have we here?”

D steps back. “I won’t stay. I just came to er – to see– “

“. . . I smell the blood-“ (OH is excelling himself. His thin, cracked voice sounds quite bloodcurdling)

Her eyes are wide. The smile has frozen on her face. She takes three steps backward. When I turn towards OH in the rear lounge, and then look back to the front door, she’s gone.

Oh dear.

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

--------

Offline Menthol

« Reply #323 on: February 12, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
 ;D

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
February 2011  London

BLOG 56
  progress

When I tell OH about the fast retreat of our neighbour, he laughs. A good sign! OH’s sense of humour is returning. Hurray! I think I’d better go across the road and explain – she must think her neighbours are a bunch of lunatics. Either that, or simply very rude.

In a brighter mood, I decide now is the time to look at progress of our villa. Is it progressing? There’s been a notable silence from far-away Turkey. It’s not worth while phoning, so I resort to my usual plaintive email but this time, a little less plaintive: “We’re surprised at not hearing from you. The worry of your lack of communication is hindering my husband’s recovery!” (somewhat of a stretch – OH hasn’t mentioned the villa) “Please send photos immediately. Very concerned!” (maybe I should just type the same email, copy and send it on a monthly basis). I send this email to just about everyone I know at Infinity: L, the two directors, their secretary and the new manager. It strikes me that it’s déja vue; a year ago wasn’t I writing this same email?

It normally takes L a week to reply – so let’s see.

A week later, I copy and send the same email again – this time with an ‘URGENT’ in the subject heading.  No prompt answer, so I reason that perhaps I shouldn’t have sent the email to all and sundry: each will pass the buck to another to reply, so this time I send it to L alone.

And then – a reply! Ha! I immediately look to see if there are any attachments – which would mean photos – which would mean progress –

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2016, 21:27:04 PM »
Oh no, I'm on them there pins again Arty!!!!!!!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #326 on: February 18, 2016, 22:15:56 PM »
Bluwise, I love your comments! They encourage me to keep on bloggin'

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #327 on: February 20, 2016, 12:53:03 PM »
That was a short one this weekbut what a cliffhanger!!!!!!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #328 on: February 25, 2016, 10:56:12 AM »

February 2011  London

BLOG 57  looking ahead

Yes, there are attachments. Finally, some images! But, by the look of them, very little progress. Then I spy something in the corner of one of the images which makes my blood boil. It’s the next-door villa, belonging to one of the Russian familiies who purchased some time after us. And that villa appears to be far more advanced than ours. It is complete with glass windows and – do I see correctly – are those newly planted trees at the front? I can hardly believe it: not only don’t we have glassed windows in our own villa, our garden looks like a heap of rubble compared to our next-door neighbour’s smooth landscape. Ours is obviously very far from the possibility of any landscaping.  It’s pretty clear to me that Infinity has taken advantage of our situation, knowing that my mind was on other things. Instead, they have forged ahead on our adjacent villas, leaving ours barely touched.

For the first time, I am beginning to wonder about our impetuous decision to buy.

Enough with polite emails. I send a stinging one to L and the directors, and the recently appointed ‘general manager’, E, expressing my feelings about the uneven progress of the group of villas and that ours has progressed the least. (I could kick myself for not taking a few minutes to send emails over the last few months.)

In my angry email I restate the new completion date as stated in the new, revised contract (end of June this year) and ask her to be sure to talk to  the directors (although I have blind copied them on the email) and also remind them of the penalties agreed in this updated contract (but inwardly thinking that contracts seem to have little meaning for these people).  I tell her that it is essential that we be able to stay in our villa in July as promised so that OH can continue his recuperation.

I also remind the directors that I must review the snagging list while there and that they must complete the necessary items before final payment. Then, dreadful thought: I think ‘they have had the bulk of the money – maybe they don’t care if they don’t receive the final payment – maybe there are other projects, more lucrative than ours, that they want to move to' – oh dear, these negative thoughts are getting me nowhere – I must remain optimistic. While writing this, I can’t help feeling a bit sorry for L – it’s not her fault, but I’m hoping that she will reiterate our anger and angst to her bosses.  I think she's the only one reading my emails. If I could, I’d be on the next plane to Dalaman, and then on to Fethiye, thumping the desk of K – better still, thumping K himself and his saccharine sister, S. As for their new 'general manager, E' - I think he's just there to shield them from angry clients.

But I can’t, so I swallow my anger and resentment, put on a smiling face for OH who is now responding much more to smiles and kisses, and go make another cup of tea.

The prospect of staying in our dream villa is receding. Will it ever happen?

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2016, 19:45:56 PM »
Oh Lord, knot in my stomach now...............

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf