Author Topic: Important Information about driving licence  (Read 29364 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Important Information about driving licence
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2016, 20:06:44 PM »
Things have changed.
Yep they sure have... and we've got decimal currency now too!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2016, 22:26:19 PM »

This thread has been a revelation. I wasn't aware that all Turkish employers paid fair, fantastic wages, ran their businesses above board,

and paid all their taxes. It's also good to know that big businesses in Turkey do not receive any favor's from the present Government.

Fascinating.

Offline Inspector

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2016, 07:35:23 AM »
I haven't actually completed the process because the system wasn't working for foreigners but when the Police thought they were going to be be processing it they did take it and say to me that they would be sending it to the DVLA! Previously you didn't have to and the guy that does our insurance used to work for the Police and he said the same as your Avukat but in this case they are both wrong, when it comes to UK licenses. If not please let me know although I have reconciled myself to giving it up  :(

As I think John F or someone else said the UK government is asking for this to happen now. There are perhaps two reasons for this. One, as has already been said if you have two licenses then if one is taken away you could still drive using the other. Two, the UK government is planning to stop people that have lived abroad for more than four years access to certain benefits, like for example tax credits to top up lower than living wages paid by employers in the event that they return full time to the UK... Who knows what else they have in store for returners and what better way to know if someone is resident elsewhere and for how long than by requiring them to relinquish their driving license.

I am hoping Inspector will let us know when the system is working for us so I don't have to keep making unnecessary trips.

Monday there is problem again. I drop the file to the police officer. So he will try 2-3 times a day. If computer accepts the application I will be informed. Then forum members will be informed.
Regards,
Inspector
Mustafa

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »
Thanks Mustafa, will wait to hear from you   :)

Offline Inspector

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2016, 12:09:11 PM »
Hello all,
Problem solved
Today Police officers called us 11.30  and we have completed the application at 13.30, It takes just 25 minutes.
After completing the application they  give you a temporary document to drive car till your Driving licence card delivered to you by PTT.
Nichola, You can go and complete your application. :-)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2016, 16:16:16 PM »
Thanks, thats brilliant Mustafa (and Mr Fraser) Friday it is then. Dogan will be chauffeur for just one more day   ;)

Offline Inspector

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2016, 18:27:04 PM »
Thanks, thats brilliant Mustafa (and Mr Fraser) Friday it is then. Dogan will be chauffeur for just one more day     ;)
Yes Yenge, Mr Fraser is the first UK citizen who get world standard driving licence in Fethiye

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »
Read this on the Consulate's UK in Turkey group on Facebook:

Consular teams have now made further enquiries with local Turkish Traffic Registration offices as stated in our original post about the changes to Driving Licences with effect from 1 January 2016.

- You should book an appointment with the local Traffic Registry Office you want to visit via http://surucurandevu.egm.gov.tr/belgelersur.aspx link in advance. You can book your appointment online and can review, change and cancel the appointment once you have completed the booking. The online system is only available in Turkish.

- You may need to prove that you have at least completed primary education. However, we are contacting Ministry of Foreign Affairs to clarify this condition as we recognise the difficulty many of you may have in producing educational certificates from the UK. We will discuss with them what the options for British nationals may be.

- The 6 month period (the time limit you can drive with a British licence) starts at from the day you enter Turkey. Again clarification is being sought from the MFA on whether this is a continuous 6 months in Turkey from this date and what affect exiting and re-entering Turkey has on this 6 month period.

- The fine for driving with a foreign driving licence after 6 months is set at 343 TL for 2016

DVLA have informed us that you can contact them to find out when your licence exchange has been completed and check that the DVLA has received your UK licence from the Turkish authorities. DVLA contact details can be found on https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-licensing-agency.

Someone said they'd made an appointment in Bursa and when they turned up to go through the process they were advised by the Traffic Office not to bother right now as it was so much hassle and the system wasn't really ready....

I particularly like the line
- You may need to prove that you have at least completed primary education.

Do I need some random school friend to pop up and say they were there with me? Take a basic reading and writing test?  :o : :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »
Do I need some random school friend to pop up and say they were there with me? Take a basic reading and writing test?

Nah, just tell 'em you're a regular poster on CBF.  We'll back y'up.  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2016, 22:48:59 PM »
Thanks for your reply Inspector.

Today we made the journey into Fethiye to do what I've been meaning to do for months now.

First stop the new Police Station on the Antalya road coming from the main Otogar, through security and the Traffic Police are in Block C and the office is on the right just past the entrance. You go to the counter on the right. What they will do is give you a form that lists everything you need to do and supply. It's in Turkish so to save whoever follows in my footsteps that first trip to the station, below is the list in English, with running commentary in the order that it is listed on the form.

1. One colour copy of your resident permit - both sides.

2. One colour copy of your passport.

*none of the offices opposite the Police station have a colour copier so scan and print your own or the nearest place we spotted was on the right just past the traffic lights by the Tuesday market at a stationer's shop. Colour copier upstairs.

3. Notarised translation of your Driving License. Now it does say full details by which I took to mean listing your eligible categories, which generally it would seem previously notarised translations didn't always extend too. But, it does look like they will accept my previously notarised translation which fits into the not full details category.

4. 3 biometric photos that are required to be a larger size than passport photos. There are a couple of places across the road from the Police Station that will do these, just make sure they know it is for a drivers license so they do the right size.

5. Health report with an attached photo stamped and signed from your family or local street clinic. We took the opportunity to finally register at the free government clinic next to the PTT in Hisaronu. The health report is free and includes taking an eye sight test of both letters and numbers.

6. Blood group card which you can get at your local clinic or any hospital. I just photocopied mine that I always carry on me that I got from Enaf in 2004 and just provided that. If you don't photocopy it they will want the card instead. This information does go on your Turkish Drivers License something I always thought was a good idea.

7. Criminal record. This is obtained from the law court. Literally enter the building. Turn right and there is a glass hatch in the wall with a man sat on the other side. Give him your permit and passport and he will ask for your parents first names (in writing on a scrap of paper for us with our strange yabancı names), and a few seconds later he will print out, initial and stamp your criminal record sheet and hand it over to you.

8. Pay at the tax office for the categories you will have on your licence. Combined cost for both below was 536.80TL. See 11 below.

Category A1 + A2 is motorbike and electric scooter

Category B is car

9. Your finger prints will be taken at the station at the end of the process.

10. Red backed plastic folder with a clear front cover - 50 kuruş at stationers.

11. Also at the tax office and at the same time as 8 above - pay 108.50 tax.

* At the tax office go to the third floor (ground floor is first floor in this case), turn left and go to the end of the counter with two women sitting there on the right turn of the counter. They want to know what categories and will want to see your resident permit. They will give you something to take to the person sitting almost directly but just to the right of the stairs on the floor below, the second floor. This is where you make payment and get your receipts for the tax and the categories you are having on your license.

12. Pay 20tl to the Turkish Police Federation which you do at Vakıf bank in Fethiye. You need the receipt stamped and initialed.

13. N/A

14. Nufus address from the Kaymakamlık building in Fethiye. When you enter walk almost to the end and through a glass partition and give your resident permit to one of the people on the left and she will print off your official Nufus address. This needs to be initialled and stamped by someone in a nearby office on the left.

Then with all of this you go back to the Police Station only to find the brand new system isn't currently working properly for anyone, including Turkish people who are migrating over to the new drivers license. We met someone that had been three times in the past few days.

So anyway, no worries. I'm assured I can still drive the car and to come back another time when hopefully the teething problems have been ironed out.

Update to follow just so I can outline a completed process and if anything crops up in the final stages...

Finally got around to completing application this week.

While we were there the Traffic Police Captain did make an appearance and he spent a good ten minutes animatedly talking about people not making an appointment!

All the paperwork mentioned above was accepted including my two year old notarized translation. No other information or paperwork was requested.

As long as your blood group (6 above) is on the Drs health report you don't need to submit that separately.

There were some issues getting the system to recognize my signature but apparently it wasn't me, it's happened before and it was finally processed.

Fingerprints were taken, no ink and pad though!

And lastly I was given a document that states I am allowed to drive for 15 days from the date of receipt and in the meantime my new license will be delivered to me at my address.

I did question if it was absolutely necessary to take my UK license. It is, they said! It will be sent to the UK and they confirmed it was a new requirement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf