Author Topic: Death in paradise  (Read 8038 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Death in paradise
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 13:40:28 PM »
There's no coffin suehugh. Burial takes place in a section reserved for foreigners. But the actual interment is Muslim style.

Probably a strange thing to say, but next time a foreigner dies, it may be a good idea for you to attend the ceremony even if you don't know them. It'll give you an insite into how it's handled. I've attended a few, and the first one was, to say the least, interesting.

Don't try going to a full Muslim burial as women are not "encouraged".

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 13:45:11 PM »
suehugh.

If you want to go out on a high there is a cemetery on the left at the start of Ovacik where Expats are buried.

At that altitude your halfway to HQ.       :)

And if you want to take a swipe at your relatives stipulate that it is your wish that they walk behind the coffiin up to Ovacik.
And this one is out of Tsunami range !! Insallah .

Offline jackstee

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 13:48:55 PM »
If I remember correctly there was someone, maybe a lawyer who was offering a full service including the plots for persons who want to plan everything or was it in the Fethiye Times.

Would like to find out myself.

Offline davybill

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 14:00:38 PM »
Went to a funeral on the  hill in Calis, they were trying to get the coffin in the grave, but it was to long.
 they had to get a pickaxe and remove some of the blocks eventualy got it in, after half hour in the realy hot sun.

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 17:46:19 PM »
http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48780.0

Suehugh,  if you check out my post above from 2 years ago you will see that there are funeral services provided in the area.to make things easier for us ex-pats
I am not sure if Suleyman is still providing a discount for CBF members but he is certainlly still providing these services and I have seen him at recent funerals, helping to carry the coffins and filling in the graves. He has also been involved in taking  deceased to the airport for repatriation.
Many of you on CBF will know him as our jolly table man at the car boot sales so it is completely out of his perceived character to see him in his daytime role

Hope this helps

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 17:47:24 PM »
I've always fancied the one on the right as you walk out of Hisaronou towards Kayakoy (nice and shady)
But not just yet !!!   ;)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 18:06:32 PM »
I know a lot of people who were cremated in England bu then wanted their ashes scattered in Turkey.. Loads scattered over the fence at The Sun Dial.. I also know friends who expressed a desire to be buried up the hill in Ovacik because of the views and they want to spend eternity in The sun. Who are we to criticise?   There are lots of people out there now who have lost partners or friends that will give advice...I think that most ex pats discuss whether they want to be buried there or brought back to The UK.. Its mostly that agegroup living there..   ;) Our friend wwas buried in a coffin cobbled together out of thick wood. 

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 21:07:30 PM »
I've sussed out my bit of Kaya cemetery.
I'll be in the company of three other Brits and a couple of Germans, by the looks of it, and just across the path from the family of my good Turkish friends.  ;D

Offline suehugh

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 21:54:35 PM »
Thanks all
Some good guidance in your posts.
It's good to route the package through a funeral provider as it takes the stress away from the surviving spouse, and then they can concentrate on the wake.
As we will be residing up the hill from Fethiye, I need to check out the cemetery just outside the village
To see if I like the views

Offline apollo

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 09:26:55 AM »
It is important to have a nice view for your loved ones, when they come for a chat and a glass or two of wine on a Sunday afternoon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf