Author Topic: Parascending Accident 19/05/09  (Read 9855 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Parascending Accident 19/05/09
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
There were two killed this week while I was there.I was told they had collided and fell.Sad.

Offline pixie

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 15:57:46 PM »
I am going to get on my soap box!!
My husband is a tandem paragliding instructor and has been for 15 years.  His and all his colleagues' business is very badly affected by these nonsensical rumours.  
It is totally untrue that 2 people were killed this week.  

September and October are the prime months for single pilots who come from mainly Europe but also all over the world to paraglide from Babadag (a place where you do not need a licence to fly) making the skies incredibly busy.  They range from experienced world class paragliders to absolute beginners and it is these pilots who sadly give the sport a bad name.  There were 2 accidents last week both involving said single pilots.  They were separate accidents and both were thankfully, given the nature and risk of the sport, minor accidents involving broken limbs.  Both pilots are recovering well thanks to quick mountain rescue by the amazing Turkish helicopter recovery team.

Rumours about paragliding have run rife around Fethiye for years for various reasons.  Each year there are 30,000 tandem paragliding flights and I am not going to tempt fate but the ratio percentage of accidents is so so minimal that it actually probably makes it one of the safest excursions you can do here!!!  These guys are highly trained, dedicate their lives to the sport, they have families and livelihoods and for them it is not just a job, it is a passion.  So please guys, the next time you hear a horrible rumour, please listen to the facts first.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 15:59:01 PM by pixie »

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 16:13:33 PM »
Well said Pixie.
The Tripadvisor Forum has had its yearly dose of the "I heard" stories about paragliding accidents, and about 99% of those topics have been complete rubbish.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 22:18:23 PM »
Pixie.I saw the helicopters flying over the beach this week.The next day I asked our Turkish gardener what they were doing.He said two pilots had collided with each other and fell,and he lives in the village.I paraglide from Babadag and will continue to do so.

Offline pixie

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 06:33:52 AM »
My husband is the elected representative for the Turkish Aviation Association for Mugla and is responsible for reporting any accidents that occur on Babadag.  
I think your gardener may have just picked up on these rumours that fly around!!!  ;)
Great news that you still plan to fly  :)

Offline c4nkr

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 17:13:24 PM »
Was at the Seahorse Beach on the 27th watching the rescue on the mountain. The staff all said that the Pilot must be dead - I pointed out how unlikely as he had fired off a flare to guide the chopper in. The whole rescue took about 40 mins and I later heard that he had suffered a broken leg, ribs and associated cuts and bruises.

I wasn't aware of the other incident at the time, or even know if there was a collision or what happened. I was just pleased that matey survived.

Oddly, when I was here at the same time last year, we watched a pilot spiral into the bay when his glider folded. He came down pretty slowly and a rescue boat was with him within about 2 mins of him splashing. He was dropped off at the beach looking a bit sheepish and apparently was flying again within an hour or two.

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 17:28:30 PM »
i've been paragliding for 6 years & i'm still here
going again next year :D

Offline brianthegardener

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 05:47:38 AM »
Fethiye Times has an article in this weeks "news snippets" section with regard the accidents...and as Pixie stated no one was killed but two guys in seperate incidents were injured.

Offline pixie

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 06:25:25 AM »
Thanks brianthegardener, its great to see the true facts being printed but sadly, this has not put paid to the incessant rumours.  Paragliding in Öludeniz will always receive flack.  For some reason people just love a story of macabre.  

I can understand plenty of people being fearful of partaking in an activity which involves "jumping" from 6500ft but I am sure those of you who have experienced tandem paragliding will agree with me, that it is a once in a lifetime (or more in the case of CAROL BROWNE :)) treat that is breathtaking, amazing and with the most amazing views.  

I am not on the sell, my husband is "retiring" this year as we are heading back to England but I urge you to give it a go if you are even vaguely thinking about it.  You will not regret it.  I did it for the first time 9 years and ago and met my husband-to-be at 6500ft!!!  I came away with much more than I bargained for!!!

And for those of you who say they are scared of heights, guess what?? So is my husband!!!  For some inexplicable reason, vertigo just doesn't really come into the equation when you are securely strapped into your (very comfy) harness.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:26:20 AM by pixie »

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »
Agree with you Pixie.It's worth the money just for the drive up there,taking in the stunning scenery.And then to float like a bird for 30/40 minutes,as you say,is breathtaking.Regards the comfort its far more comfortable than a Thomas Cook seat.!!.On my last flight I enjoyed a plasic glass of Jack Daniels as it was my birthday.Sheer heaven.

:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf