Author Topic: Looks like a purfect Turkish village to retire to  (Read 12045 times)

Offline big cal

• Newly Registered
Looks like a purfect Turkish village to retire to
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:55:11 AM »
Hi, my name is Carole, me and my partner are thinking of taking early retirement and have been researching this lovely little village. 8)
There does seem to be quite a lot of resales at the moment on Rightmove or is this just the general average as there does seem to be quite a few villas in the area.
We are thinking that maybe we may rent first or by an apartment. It is early days yet.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Carole :D

Offline Honey Bee

Re: Looks like a purfect Turkish village to retire to
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »
Hello

We use our villa as a holiday home but will retire in 6 years and 4 months!
Great Turkish village with a selection of nationals from all over the world. If you need any further info please contact me

Offline philrose

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »
Definatley rent in the first instance, preferably for a complete year so you get the feel for it in and out of season (the Winter months are a lot colder in the mountains), otherwise go for it!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:25:18 AM »
Yes, definitely rent first, as Uzumlu is a village akin to marmite - some love it, others hate it & there isn't too much in the middle   ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 20:22:06 PM »
Agree, up in the mountains, so cold in the winter and also some descent recently from people who live there about someone beaten up after leaving a bar.  Just rent to get the feel of the place first of all. 
This is a thread you may want to read
http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=56862.0

Offline Honey Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 21:43:45 PM »
Don't let people put you off. Make your own mind up
We did and never looked back
Talk all types to make a community

Offline scorcher

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 23:17:13 PM »
Perfume as well as wine from Uzumlu I note - enterprising village !  ;D

Offline AandP

• Uzumlu
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
 Our advice would be to ignore that link  posted above, and to listen to the people who actually live here. We retired here almost two years ago,  having first rented in Calis and Ovacik.  We absolutely love it here,  with its stunning  mountain scenery,  peacefulness,  and very friendly,  helpful  local community -  and  that includes all the Turks we have met.
We  tend to get a lot of summer visitors ( who all love  it),  so  winter is a chance for us  to enjoy  some  of the  many activities  going on -  it's a very sociable place if you want to join in. 
Since we moved here there have always been quite a lot of villas for sale,  and new builds keep appearing all the time.  Renting first can be sensible,  unless you pick a resident's  brain  for location and  heating  advice (we're  happy to help if you want to  send a private message).
 Good luck with your adventure!  Hope you're as happy here as everybody else we know.

Offline big cal

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »
Hi folks, thanks for all your comments. I did read the thread about the mugging but guess this is an isolated incident that happens everywhere at sometime, hardly a worry to us as my partner is 6 foot 5 and 19 stone  :D but hope the poor chap is ok now.
We are just looking for a village that is away from the bustle of the clubs and bars ( not saying we dont like that social scene, but nice to spend the day there then to retreat back to the village and sip wine by the pool ;D. It was a worry that we might feel a bit isolated but there does seem to be quite a good social scene ( better than my own area where i live now.)
My partner is a dog lover, well loves all animals so this would be the perfect place to have them.
My sister lives in Koycegiz in a vallage called Topalar, this is quite remote and you do need a car to get anywhere but is very beautiful.
The only thing that i worry about is my aging mother, she is 86, and my baby grandson, and i do feel a terrible dredge of guilt.
Are we being selfish ?

Offline AandP

• Uzumlu
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
I  think anybody who moves away from family probably feels some  guilt,  but you should live the life you want to live.  Back home we'd be getting up early to commute to jobs we didn't particularly enjoy,  in weather that was frequently awful.  Here we're loving the climate,  we love our villa,   we love the area, we love the lifestyle,  we love many  aspects of  Turkish  society,  and we're having a ball! And when family come to visit,  they have a ball too  :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf