Author Topic: On line Catalogues be careful  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
On line Catalogues be careful
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
I get all the bank scams asking me to update my account etc.,  However, this week I had an email from Very which is a catalogue that belongs to Littlewoods.  I was told that I needed to make some changes to my account.  I realised it was a scam as most of these scammers don't know your name and address you as Dear Customer or Valued Customer.   I copied and pasted the message properties and sent them along with the message to Very.  I got an email back telling me it was a scam and not to click into any prompts.  They said they were investigating.
So, just a warning that the scammers are now using on-line catalogues sites to get our details[:(!]

Offline marina

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 14:34:28 PM »
Yes, I got this email too Jacqui.  I'm very wary of anything like that these days and will tend to delete genuine emails rather than opening them if I'm not sure.

But is was quite convincing other than, like you say, addressing you as 'Dear or Valued customer' rather than your name.  

Just shows you need to have your wits about you all the time and be aware that scammers will use any means to get your personal information.

Offline patrice

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 16:52:01 PM »
I had an email supposedly from booking.com
We had recently used them so I opened it .It said that there had been a mistake on a payment  and I was due a refund,but as you say Jackie when they ask questions they should know I became suspicious and did not follow it through.
I contacted my bank and they said it was probably a scam [:(!]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 17:54:43 PM »
The one thing these examples all show is just how easy it is to fool us, when the subject is something we use. The moral must be, trust nothing emailed...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf