Author Topic: Fruit & veg  (Read 2715 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Fruit & veg
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »

It's reported today that Russia will ban the import of all fruit and vegetables from Turkey from next week.

Yet more misery for Turkish businesses, but I doubt it will hurt the Palace budget.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Fruit & veg
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »
Hard times ahead for many small (and large) businesses in Turkey, but this imminent ban on imports will mainly hurt the thousands of seasonal/casual workers throughout Turkey who move from farm to farm during picking seasons.

Ironically, this will increase support for the AKP in many regions - the ones where they blindly believe everything they are told by little reginald and his hand picked government. 

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 18:59:48 PM »
How will extra poverty and hardship increase the AKP support in their strongholds John? I would have thought it is about the only thing that might actually turn these people against them.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 14:14:03 PM »
Yeah, you'd have thought that, wouldn't you. I suspect its the inverse, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, by the time he AKP has put the spin on this issue it'll be all Russia's fault - and one thing this party is good at is spin.  They'll bring out the "everyone is against Turkey" line and before you know whats happening, these workers will be thanking little reginald and local officials for "protecting" them.  Bizarre, but I think thats how it'll end up.

Secondly, there is state (financial) support available and should be distributed without favour - however, access to these benefits is increased in many regions if you are a member of the AKP.  It's almost cash for votes...

This article expands on it: Is Turkey's AKP cashing in on poverty?

JF

Offline davybill

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 14:43:22 PM »
Why isn't it Russia's fault John?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 15:43:54 PM »
I don't recall Russia shooting down any Turkish aircraft...

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 15:48:32 PM »
Not yet, anyway.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 16:02:52 PM »
I read, a couple of weeks back, that Putin was looking at Turkey rather more affectionately now that it seemed to be falling out with the US - well Erdogan falling out with Obama really - and Putin was thinking it might be possible to put a wedge between Turkey and "The Western Alliance". Just speculation, of course, but speculation is quite fun. Times are getting tougher for Turkey, including oil prices going back up, so perhaps being able to blame it on Russia will divert attention from the AKP Gov?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »
Russia has for many years been an active supporter of the Kurdish struggle, particularly during the soviet years, funneling support usually through the PKK and its leftist anticedents.  This support for the Kurds dropped off as Russia was distracted by the fragmentation of the soviet empire, but it is back, and nowhere is this clearer than Syria where the Russians are supporting the YPG, as indeed are the PKK in military terms. The Russians are giving more aid militarily to the YPG than the americans do, or indeed with half an eye on Turkey actually want to offer.  And this alliance is getting results, and we will probably see the Turkish/syrian border closed off to Turkey.  And Reg will not be able to do a thing about it, his military have told him not to get involved in Syria....... Mind you when he becomes the supreme leader who knows what he will order the military to do.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
Damage had already been done hence why Tomato growers were blocking the roads a few weeks ago - this is just finishing the hatchet job off:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/mobile/business/article/russia-may-ban-all-remaining-turkish-fruit-and-veg-imports/569321.html

It does mean the Russians will pay more to source other supplies though from further afield?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf