Author Topic: Some good news for a change :)  (Read 2082 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Some good news for a change :)
« on: November 24, 2016, 14:37:54 PM »
In amongst all the doom and gloom over the economy, the EU, folks getting arrested for not bowing to the wee fella, etc, this caught my eye in the HDN.

Thirteen high school teachers have traveled around villages in the southeastern province of Batman to convince the parents of a total of 45 girls to send their offspring to school.

The teachers, with the support of the principal of the high school, Abdurrahman Alan, raised the total number of female students in the school from 35 to 80. The number of female students has now reached the same number as male students.

“We are trying to persuade the parents to send their girls to schools,” said English teacher Fethiye Akdağ from the Black Sea province of Samsun, adding that the students “were happy to be receiving an education and working for their dreams.”

“The parents who previously thought that girls don’t need to receive education are now more conscious,” she said.

Full article

JF

Offline incir

Re: Some good news for a change :)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 09:36:39 AM »
I think it's incredibly sad that in 2016 teachers are having to persuade parents to send their girls to school.  The 'Haydi Kizlar Okular' scheme has been running for years. 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:44:50 AM »
To the women: Win for us the battle of education and you will do yet more for your country than we have been able to do. It is to you that I appeal.

To the men: If henceforward the women do not share in the social life of the nation, we shall never attain to our full development. We shall remain irremediably backward, incapable of treating on equal terms with the civilizations of the West. {Ataturk, c.1925}.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
You're right Incir, the Haydi Kizlar Okula scheme started in 2001 and was funded mainly by UNICEF through to 2005(ish).  As is the case with many NGO projects, once the main driving force leaves, the projects often lose momentum. 

I'd forgotten about this project when I posted which was bad as I knew a woman in Istanbul who worked on it as part of UNICEF.  I did a quick search and it does seem to have died a bit of a death in many provinces.  A few references to it in political speeches but not much else.  It appears to be the Ministry of Education who are now responsible for it, but given the massive changes there over the past few years I suspect they don't have the appetite for it any more.

But its not all bad in world of education in Turkey, I mean look at the hundreds of schools, colleges and universities closed down recently as they had links to that bad man in the US.  Now they can turn them all into Imam Hatip schools as part of the wee fella's desire to "raise pious generations".

JF

Offline incir

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 14:17:19 PM »
Indeed they can.  And probably will.  Jeez would make you weep.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf