Author Topic: Worst meal in 10 years!!  (Read 10554 times)

Offline jennyjo

Worst meal in 10 years!!
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »
Returned on Sunday after a 12 day holiday in Calis.  We have been going for 10 years, sometimes twice a year and have had some superb meals and some mediocre meals but never one that was totally inedible.  Went to Georges after reading some positive reviews (not been in for about 7 years). We were seated and then it took almost 10 mins to take drinks order, now we don't mind how long it takes to order and wait for the food as long as we have a drink.  We eventually got our drinks and ordered our meals.  Starters came, hubby had soup (blitzed tomatoes with no seasoning) and I had liver which came on a plate in gravy with 2 small dollops of mash, no flavor and no seasoning.  We both ordered the Meatball casserole.  It came in the usual black dish in a salty instant gravy sauce with a layer of grease floating on top.  It was apparent that the meatballs had been cooked and transferred from the cooking vessel to the black dish along with the cooking oil and then gravy poured over.  The potato that came with the dish was cold and resembled wallpaper paste.  It was absolutely vile.  I tried several times to get a waiter's attention and it was obvious they could see I was not eating my meal.  My husband had 2 mouthfuls and could not finish it and he will usually eat anything!!  When I eventually got to tell them they were very indifferent, no apology and just took my plate away.  When the bill came they did not charge for my meal but still charged for my husbands.  We aren't fussy people but it was a very bad experience and handled poorly by the restaurant.  I have had meatball casserole loads of times on holiday and it has always been in a tomato based sauce with cheese on top.  Would not visit again if the food was free!

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Re: Worst meal in 10 years!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 14:16:03 PM »
Oh Dear,  H R H will not be amused, That's the old Topkapi down the pan then. :o

Offline Steve A

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 14:35:54 PM »
Similar experience to ours posted earlier in September

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 14:45:04 PM »
And they're not shy about charging top dollar for poor or indifferent food either :(

Offline snowtop

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 16:12:49 PM »
I had one there and agree, not very good, certainly off my list!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 16:14:55 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  We have been using this restaurant for 10 years and always liked it.  Phil calls it his De-fault restaurant, the one we always know will be good. Been 4 times this month, always packed and always seem to meet a CBF Member there who comes over and tells me how much they have enjoyed their meal.  Beginning of the month it was Bluwise, last week it was Christie who told us she had been coming to Calis for 20 years and never tried Georges, they have now been twice and really enjoyed their meal.
I don't know what else to say, the place is always full and they have many return customers from over the years. We would not go if the food was bad and we consider it very inexpensive, always around 90-100tl for the two of us plus drinks.
It is not just us that like it, it gets really good reviews on T.A.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 18:48:03 PM »
No more than 7 out of 10 from us the night we were in - probably a six and a half.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 18:52:51 PM »
Believe me Jacqui you saw my review earlier,it is not good,obviously not consistent.Maybe they look after their regulars like you but they are not bothered about new custom.

Offline jennyjo

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 22:40:15 PM »
Must admit they appeared to be very attentive to the customers they seemed to know. Poor behaviour and eventually will lose them custom. Can't understand how any decent chef would send out the food we had especially a fairly simple dish of meatballs.

Offline Christie

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 12:25:53 PM »
We can only say that we went to Georges 3 times whilst over in September, twice with friends and once on our own.   My husband had the meatballs twice which he really enjoyed(he didn't find them at all greasy and enjoyed the sauce) and a steak which he felt was one of the best steak meals he has had in Calis.   I had the mexican chicken - delicious - lovely white moist chicken and the Strogonoff was also good.   The third time we went we met up with friends who live in Calis but had never been to Georges, he is fussy about his meatballs (doesn't like tomato) but he thoroughly enjoyed them at Georges. So for us, it definitely remains on the list.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf