Author Topic: *THAT* Face & A Sharp Intake of Breath  (Read 12946 times)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Re: *THAT* Face & A Sharp Intake of Breath
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 17:32:36 PM »
what I hate is the,  'but how could you leave your family'   well I'm going to leave them for good one day!!  My daughters have already had me longer than I had my mum so they should think themselves lucky. I hope I have a lot of years yet to enjoy myself before I shuffle off, and I'm going to make the most of it (I should say we!!)    ;)   :)

"Priceless", you are so so right.   ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 17:53:26 PM »
I was 31 when I lost my Mum and I felt so cheated.  For many years after, I would be in town on a Saturday and go into a cafe for a coffee and cake.  All around me were ladies of 50 and 60 with their mothers - I thought it was so unfair.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 19:27:44 PM »
Totally agree Marggie and Angela.
I lost my mum when I was 12 and have never really come to terms with it.

In some ways that has coloured the way I've always encouraged my kids to be independent and self-reliant.....it doesn't mean it will be easy to leave my son behind in the UK but at least I know he WILL be able to cope without me.

Offline Janbee

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 20:37:46 PM »
You've got to do what is right for you and if it doesn't work out at least you have ventured!  We left our grown up sons and grandchildren behind but we brought our two cats!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 20:56:33 PM »
You've got to do what is right for you and if it doesn't work out at least you have ventured!  We left our grown up sons and grandchildren behind but we brought our two cats!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

We're bringing ours too - getting quotes at the moment, bloody hell it's pricey....can't leave them though.
Who did you use - did they collect from your house? Not looking forward to the journey from Dalaman to wherever home ends up being either.   :(

Offline Marggie

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »
Totally agree Marggie and Angela.
I lost my mum when I was 12 and have never really come to terms with it.

In some ways that has coloured the way I've always encouraged my kids to be independent and self-reliant.....it doesn't mean it will be easy to leave my son behind in the UK but at least I know he WILL be able to cope without me.

Wordbird that it way too young to lose your Mum.  You have brought your son up to be independent and although he will miss you he will be able to lead his own life.  Your time spent with him when he comes on holiday will be all the more enjoyable.

Offline Janbee

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
We used Airpets, they were excellent, www.airpets.com, they are based at Heathrow.  They picked them up 5 days before we flew, and did their final checks, flea and tick treatment and all the necessary paperwork.  You have to be on the same flight as your pets, and liaise with the pet carrier. They supply the cats own transport box.  They need to have their rabies vaccinations done before you fly out and of course their pet passports.  Although expensive you will get peace of mind.  They were transferred to Gatwick for our flight with Thomas Cook.  The other airline which has a hold for pets is Thomson's.  When we landed at Dalaman our cats were already there waiting for us in the arrival's hall.  We had to go to an office first in the arrival hall and signed some paperwork, then were rushed over to the customs office for more paperwork to be done, as they close at 5pm.  Glad to say it was alright in the end.  Bringing our cats has helped us to settle here and they too are very happy.    :)

Offline marina

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
Looking at this from the other side of things, my youngest daughter and husband are emigrating to New Zealand next month.  He is from NZ so they were always going to give it a go.  Quite a bit further than UK to Turkey!

However, much as we'll miss them like crazy, we've just told them to do what is best for themselves.  You can't live your lives through other people or expect children to be around for you when you get older.  It's their lives to live not yours.  (They'll probably put me in a home!   : :))

They're giving it a go and will just see how things work out next couple of years or so. You want your children (and parents) to be happy so, hard as it is, you should send them off with your blessing and look forward to the holidays!

Offline angela

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 14:17:34 PM »
absolutely wholeheartedly agree with all of the above!  (we are bringing 2 dogs  )  :)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 21:35:58 PM »
I totally agree with all the stuff that's been said about your kids and parents etc.  but my mum is 87 years old, still going strong (but truthfully how much longer) my son is 40 years old but has Aspergers Syndrome which means he has no friends, finds it hard to make any sort of relationship, and spends most of his life alone, on his computer, I would love to make the move to live in Calis, but I have responsibilities that I cannot just abandon.  I am very jealous of the people who are able to go ahead with the move, despite their problems, but I do wish them all the very best, and look forward to many holidays to come.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf