Author Topic: Alain Rolland - Irish or French ?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Alain Rolland - Irish or French ?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 19:41:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by barry44544

I thought it was a very fair decision. He clearly lifted the man and slamed him.
Cant blame the ref for doing his job.
This is quite untrue. I have heard or read of no-one - apart from you - who thinks the player was "slammed". Perhaps you were watching a different incident.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 19:48:43 PM »
I agree Colwyn - it was clear to see that the Warburton let go of him. Not that this makes any difference.

Here's the directive which Eric posted elsewhere.

http://ht.ly/6Yd0Y

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 20:04:43 PM »
I have given an extract from the report mentioned above.  

The assistant referee, Mr Kaplan, described the incident
as follows in his report:
"From my position on the touch line, and in my role as an AR, I reported foul play to
the referee of the day, S Dickinson, in the match played on Saturday between the Bulls
and the Cheetahs played at Loftus Versfeld in Pta. The incident concerned T de Bruyn
of the Cheetahs, who lifted, twisted and then dropped the Bulls player (Ndungane)
during a passage of general play. I was in close proximity to the incident and I
recommended a yellow card on the basis that whilst the tackle was certainly
dangerous, the foul play did not include a driving motion into the ground. The content
of our conversation can be reviewed as we agree from both sides of the tackle that a
yellow card seemed appropriate."

I have watched Rolland referee Wales matches many times. If there has been a 50/50 decision it has always gone against Wales.  When I saw who was going to ref the match, I told my partner that I was worried and why. We had just beaten the Irish and we were playing the French. How could a half French, half Irish man be chosen to ref the game ?  It goes against all logic of having a neutral referee.   Something stinks!!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 20:29:46 PM »
he's not supposed to let go of him, he is supposed to put him back on his feet.

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 20:35:21 PM »
Difficult with the slinky shirts they wear nowadays

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
I don't do Facebook H. People get locked up for that.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 15:01:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

he's not supposed to let go of him, he is supposed to put him back on his feet.

Possibly technically correct in the perfect World, but maybe morally wrong in the "bigger picture" ! - A 23 year old 6'3", 17 stone professional athlete, in his tactical position, tackling his opponent at speed, psyched up for the most important game of his career, and his Nations history, having to make split second decisions, in these situations, these things are bound to happen !.

Rugby Union has always been a tough sport played by tough men, and in this day and age of these "modern gladiators", things are only going to get tougher !, but I hope the IRB bureaucrats and the health and safety afficianados' don't go too far in all this, for the sake of the sport, also I hope the soccer type "theatricals" don't creep into it as in the reaction of the "hard done by" players and his team members.

I think the main gripe in this particular situation is the fact that Mr Rolland (with a history of egomania), had the red card drawn faster than Wyatt Earp, and did not stop, calm the situation, consult his other assistants for their opinions, take into consideration, sense of occasion, the players personal history, and the level of malice involved, again a lot of information to process in a relatively short time that can make or break careers and massive sporting occasions.

Yes I am biased, but I hope, for the good of the game that I have played and loved since a child, it all doesn't turn into a fiasco, refereed by automatons.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 15:02:35 PM by valleyboy »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 15:09:45 PM »
Very nice post VB; written with style. Have you been discussing this with Francois Pienaar? Now on to the Wallabies on Friday.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 16:56:47 PM »
Thank you Colwyn, as it happens I do consider Francois Pienaar to be one of the finest players and captains to have ever graced a rugby field, I also think he is one of the most informed and intelligent of the pundits on the circuit, his knowledge and passion for the game is undeniable.

So yes, I do respect his opinion, and also the opinions of 95% of rugby followers from around the World (the serious one's), other pundits, other players from all Nations (a lot of them English by the way), and my Dad, that this particular event should not contribute to spoil the modern game. Lessons must be learned for the good of the game.

So, on to the positives, yes Australia, the Six Nations, the Next World Cup !. :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf