Author Topic: I know its a bit late....but  (Read 6373 times)

Offline maybe

I know its a bit late....but
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 21:06:53 PM »
I love driving in Turkey! It's easy and the parking in Fethiye is fine unless you try to park like we do in the UK.  You know - lots of room between cars, allocated spaces, dead straight etc.  In Fethiye, if there's a gap big enough then stick your car in it! Just have to keep an eye open for the unexpected, but then same could be said for Eastbourne!  

Crabbit, can I please have a go in your car?  Looks like it could be fun! The things I could do with that....

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 22:06:10 PM »
as long as you can use the gun turret. Alan

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 11:38:52 AM »
I haven't found driving in Turkey any problem either.  I have driven in all the countries we've visited and I think that Sicily is worse than Turkey!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »
I agree - it's a walk in the park compared with some places - my personal worst was when I was working in Las Palmas - nutters, every one of them!

There are only around 10 crazy things Turkish drivers do - once you know them you look out for them - it isn't bad at all. One advantage here is that if you feel nervous or uncomfortable you can drive as slow as you like - nobody cares, nobody tailgates or beeps you - they just overtake.

Scunner

Offline maybe

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 13:14:21 PM »
Elsa, I agree - Sicily is just survival of the fittest!
Yes, there's little they do that's dangerous around Fethiye... someone might cut you up, but no-one cares cos then someone will cut them up.  Only people I've ever seen driving like a nutter are tourists. Just keep your eyes peeled and you're fine. Though of course it can take a bit of getting used to not to regard hoots on the horn as anything other than just notification of presence before overtaking or whatever - over here it's usually abuse!
Give me control of that gun turret and I'm sure I could use it!

Offline sannyrut

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 15:29:22 PM »
Haven't tried driving in Turkiye.Have done elsewhere.Can anyone tell me,what rights pedestrians have in trying to use pedestrian croosings in Turkiye?Or is it none?.Tessekurler.Alec

Offline apollo

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 15:36:40 PM »
None, until they get run over. They then have all the rights in the world!

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 15:43:40 PM »
Sanny, for christs' sake don't trust the blighters to stop at "pedestrian crossings", they are supposed to, but will either run you over, or swerve around you at the last moment. Has anyone ever noticed that of all the farm tractors driven on the public roads here, none have been "factory-fitted" with mirrors, not a legal requirement, seemingly!!
Personally, I've been driving here for almost 3 years now, and I agree with Keith , once you get to realise that you MUST expect the unexpected, you may just survive, {until tea-time} :o :o:D
And, Lord Crabbit, at last, irrefutable proof that you are, indeed, a proper "Tanker" : :)[8]
Gordy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 15:47:09 PM by GordonA »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 16:04:28 PM »
If by miraculous chance a car does stop at a pedestrian crossing to let you cross, BEWARE - and this is a very serious comment - the car overtaking the one that stopped for you is common and to the pedestrian totally unexpected, just when you are feeling at your most safe.

Scunner

Offline apollo

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 16:12:17 PM »
A very good point Scunner.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf