Author Topic: Marina Extension  (Read 2461 times)

Offline HappyMonday

« on: June 16, 2007, 08:32:43 AM »
I know this isn't strictly related to Deliktas but I'm sure someone will move to a more appropriate section (I couldn't see one).

Anyone aware of the latest timeline and plans for the move of the boatyard and marina extension?

I have mixed feelings about what this will do to Fethiye with a lovely area near Letoonia  being covered with buildings and cruise liners coming in, on the one hand, and positive impact on local traders on the other.

Offline telsoo

Marina Extension
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 14:39:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by HappyMonday

I know this isn't strictly related to Deliktas but I'm sure someone will move to a more appropriate section (I couldn't see one).

Anyone aware of the latest timeline and plans for the move of the boatyard and marina extension?

I have mixed feelings about what this will do to Fethiye with a lovely area near Letoonia  being covered with buildings and cruise liners coming in, on the one hand, and positive impact on local traders on the other.

A few people I talked to thought that the influx of cruise liner business and this local expansion would tie in nicely with Fethiye,s "City" status proposed in 2 years time.
Whilst we dont want it to end up like Southampton docks I think there are a few positives re local trade and opportunities

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 17:28:45 PM »
Thanks Terry. Looking forward to meeting you when we are both out at the same time.

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Marina Extension
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:58:45 AM »
i heard the boat yards are definetly going now and have been given two years notice, this came from boat yard owner. the new pier extensions and landfill on the prominade seems to have gone quite, but not forgoton, i think there is a big fight going on with those for and against it,i have seen the proposed plans for it and if it does happen it will radically change the fethiye harbour front with coach parks etc, to pick the thousands of cruise liner passengers etc.

Offline telsoo

Marina Extension
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:33:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stuart

i heard the boat yards are definetly going now and have been given two years notice, this came from boat yard owner. the new pier extensions and landfill on the prominade seems to have gone quite, but not forgoton, i think there is a big fight going on with those for and against it,i have seen the proposed plans for it and if it does happen it will radically change the fethiye harbour front with coach parks etc, to pick the thousands of cruise liner passengers etc.

Everybody around that area goes on every year about tourists and the lack of them etc so I cant see why its a bad thing to develop cruise liner traffic. I really think Fethiye has to make up its mind whether it can survive as a working Turkish town or does it need tourism to survive.
I would have though the quieter more touristy areas around Fethiye that are dead in winter and rely rotally on this trade would be in full support.
Fethiye cant have it both ways wanting plenty of tourists but not developing to allow that to happen.Presumably cruise liners will only be now and again,not every day but surely it will help the winter trade.
I cant think of a negative really if it is done tastefully

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 13:58:06 PM »
We all say Fethiye is a working town. However, when we first visited 18 years ago there was virtually nothing there and tourism has had a large impact on the growth of Fethiye anyway. Its just a natural progression.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf