Author Topic: Actioning a Will in Turkey, ensure you are aware!  (Read 12574 times)

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
Actioning a Will in Turkey, ensure you are aware!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »
What an awful problem Loz :( Thank goodness your friend has your support & help.  Grieving for someone close is such a difficult time, hard to deal with all the paperwork even if it is fairly straight forward, as in the UK.  

I hope you'll soon reach a successful conclusion,take good care x

Offline Tykatem

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 14:55:23 PM »
I don't know how true it is, but we were told that when we bought our place 5yrs ago, to put both mine and my wifes name on the Tapu, meaning that if anything happened to either one of us, the other inherits automatically. the in some was to happen to the pair of us, the property is split 50/50 with both out daughters.
As I said earlier, i'm not sure how true this is? As with most things to do with law, take nothing for granted until a test case has gone through the courts.

Pete

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 17:19:01 PM »
Pete, you need to read the beginning of this thread and the "Will and possessions" thread to see that the Will in question nothing to to with the Tapu, the Tapu comes later when the Will has been opened and all other hoops in the UK then Turkey court system has been completed (In this case the Tapu is also in joint names, and not this is not automatically transferred into the surviving partners name).

Another case of the lawyers not fully conversant with the procedure, yet with each property owner "popping their cloggs" they are will be learning pretty damn quick!

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
Update:

Second stage of the will procedure, court case is now in September (as long as the Certificates are in order)

Not quite as clear cut as they will have you believe.:(

Loz

Offline Firo

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 13:24:34 PM »
Would it not be easier to transfer the Tapu into the heirs names and have a rental agreement with them for both of our lifetimes?

Very confusing as we made out a will here in Turkey with Stuarts wife, Dileks sister 18 months ago and none of this was stated. She made it sound like a simole process once a will was lodged in Turkey.

Hope it can be sorted and explanations given as there must be lots of us worrying about our wishes being carried out.
Fiona

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 13:32:39 PM »
Fi, the Tapu can not be touched until the 2nd court case has been heard, agreed and actioned.  

The chap (a friend of ours) who did not make a Will and only has 2 sons has been sorted quicker than this "comic saga", and cost 1500Ytl less, not counting the lawyers fees in Uk doing the sworn apostile etc.

Loz
(yes still spitting bullets over this)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 22:09:42 PM »
Has anyone had dealings regarding Wills in Turkey?  All I hear from most lawyers is "We deal with this all the time"  then why can they not answer a simple question?

I have just had a very upset friend on the phone, the Certificates have now been a stamped, she also had to foot the bill for cost of them being sent to Brussels, !!
She can not get a sworn affidavit as it would then involve family members , even though the husband stipulated that all was to go to the wife, now the court case that is due to go ahead in September (nearly 1 year to the anniversary of our friends death)

Yes our friend did have a Turkish Will, her solicitor queried why a notarised copy was not also signed and witnessed? Is yours?

If anyone has been through this, or know of someone please feel free to email me if they do not want to go through the forum.
gordonDOTlorraineATgmailDOTcom

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 22:13:49 PM »
Why Brussels Loz?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 22:17:20 PM »
because the Certificates, birth marriage and Death certs of all concerned need to be apostilled with the Common Wealth stamp, as this is the procedure which is legally acceptable and expected in Turkey.

She is now looking at a very long term wait.

Offline Harley

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 23:27:09 PM »
I've been meaning to sort out a will in Turkey, but never got round to it.  Now i'm not to sure whether i should bother at all  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf