Author Topic: Mobile phones  (Read 6897 times)

Offline amanda bullock

Mobile phones
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 16:50:10 PM »
i think you have to have free roaming on it from your provider.Sure someone will let you know soon.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 18:33:06 PM »
We brought a new mobile phone out for our Turkish friend. He had it unlocked here. We took ours to a Turcell shop in Fethiye for unlocking when we first came out here. Then had it registered.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 18:34:59 PM by mercury »

Offline sonic008

Mobile phones
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 14:33:57 PM »
if you have a mobile, with orange t mobile vodaphone o2 and it is locked to their sim, you need it unlocked to put a turkish sim in or anyother suppliers sim , for that matter, www.trycktill.com  do unlock codes for most Nokia and some other makes, just select the english flag(dutch site) and follow the easy step by step instructions, before leaving the UK. It also increases the value of re sale as it can then be used by anyone for any sim!!

Offline tonysue

Mobile phones
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 11:20:36 AM »
If I buy a new phone in the UK  can I have it unlocked to take both turkish and english sim and can it be registered in both countries so I can swap the sims accordingly? If I buy In uk must I register it here first? or should I buy a cheapy just for turkish use and if so must that be registered in uk first?  Sorry for the ramble, I have read the thread thru, just call me stupid. :-\

Offline philrose

Mobile phones
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
No need to register for UK as long as it's unlocked it should work with any UK sim. You will need to register the handset with whatever provider you use in Turkey. Just go into the shop that you bought the sim card from and they will sort it for you. You will probably need your pasport to do this.

Offline tonysue

Mobile phones
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
Thanks philrose. I understand  Turkish mobiles are turned off if not used for a period of time. This being the case , can I not make a call from Uk on Turkish mobile? This way the phone would still be used and provider still getting a chargable event.

Offline philrose

Mobile phones
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »
As I understand it they have to be topped up with credit every 3 months to keep them active rather than being used. There was a topic about how to do this from the UK recently.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »
Sue,
We have a phone bought in Turkey with a Turkcell sim.
We need to add credit to it every 3 months or you can't make outgoing calls from it. If you dont add credit or make a call in 6 mths it gets locked (I believe).

Offline mary anne

Mobile phones
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 22:10:55 PM »
Is it the sim that is locked and the phone itself is OK?
I know that we have not been in Turkey since last October so fully expect the sim to be defunct. I hope it is not the phone as well - what a swizz. If so I will just take another phone from UK and register it with a new sim. I could sell hand sets have so many lying around the house, so hopefully at least one will be OK. Shame really as my wee nokia dead simple is perfectly fine for what I need it for in Turkey. Thanks for any advice Mary

Offline philrose

Mobile phones
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 05:45:11 AM »
It is the phone number that gets blocked, not the phone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf