Author Topic: Your Kids Won't Believe This  (Read 5548 times)

Offline scouser2swife

Your Kids Won't Believe This
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 18:53:18 PM »
My husband also bought me a microwave as a Christmas present, the year I was pregnant. It was the size of a house (well nearly) and cost about £300. His reason for buying it was so that I wouldn't be awake all night warming the baby bottles!! I didn'nt want to tell him that I was going to feed the baby myself :-\: :)

Offline scouser2swife

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 18:56:29 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I sacked him 12 years ago:D
He got to keep the microwave....He's living in it! hahaha: :)

Offline tiddly winks

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 21:59:27 PM »
I am astounded that it was that bad for TV

3 CHANNELS??? How mental is that? And getting up to change the channel is ludicrous!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 22:55:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

It's Betamax, it didn't :D

i know it was a toss up between vhs and betamax (back then in the old days):P but that's life ;)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 22:58:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by scouser2swife

My husband also bought me a microwave as a Christmas present, the year I was pregnant. It was the size of a house (well nearly) and cost about £300. His reason for buying it was so that I wouldn't be awake all night warming the baby bottles!! I didn'nt want to tell him that I was going to feed the baby myself :-\: :)

my hubbie bought me one of the first microwaves a sharp they were huge.sacked him 12yrs ago too.spooky or what:P

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 23:37:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tiddly winks

I am astounded that it was that bad for TV

3 CHANNELS??? How mental is that? And getting up to change the channel is ludicrous!

Not just 3 channels they were not 24 hours either. BBC 2 used to start at about 10 am and the programmes were all education programmes for schools till about 3pm. when you look back it was crap back then. I bought my one & only ever microwave about 20 years ago for £100 & its still going strong. To replace it now with an identical quality one would cost about £40.
I also remember my mum buying a calculator when they first came out. it was £30, very basic and massive in comparison to todays.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 23:57:31 PM »
Yes that's right, I remember the shock and indeed controversy surrounding the possibility of "Breakfast Television" - there had not been any thought to turn on a telly at breakfast time because there was nothing on whatsoever. Some thought television while the family spent quality time together round the breakfast table (yes you had a different table for each meal back then) would further erode the family itself. Others wondered what they were talking about as they hadn't sat with their family at breakfast time in years.

I remember counting the minutes pass in the cold, dark winter evenings when BBC2 would start broadcasting children's programmes from 6pm, invariably starting with Harold Lloyd in black & white. One further advance in television was when through the night television went from nothing to CEEFAX pages on a loop. There was always 6 pages for anything vaguely interesting, which changed when they wanted - generally two and a half minutes after you read the whole of page one. Then page two would only stay for 12 seconds.

We're all beginning to sound like our dads :D

Offline arrian

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »
what about the days before central heating, when the inside of the windows where frozen, and you wore 3 layers of clothing, woolly socks and gloves, and had a hot water bottle, and that was just going to bed!!!!!
and i remember school milk when the milk was frozen.
( i think i've morphed into my mum)

Offline Jackie Knight

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 08:48:50 AM »
I remember my mom saying to me not to play to near to the TV because of the Valves????? :)

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 09:09:24 AM »

We had a pay to view tv (fortunately not for long).....a slot tv.....put 2 shillings in the slot at the back.....cannot remember how long it last.... but what a pain when it run out  :o

Those were the days ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf