Author Topic: Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents  (Read 14506 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 16:22:08 PM »
Barry - if you confirm that tomorrow - and I can now buy my scooter again and insure it - am I allowed to give you a big hug ???????

Ian (everything crossed)  :-\

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 17:13:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by starmanTM

quote:
Originally posted by albaman
Does anyone want to try & justify this system that is unfair, racist, & totally unorganised?

Whats racist about it? Turks have to use there citizenship number and show their ID card just as a foreigner must show this with a residence permit. There are NO different rules depending on if you are a Turk, jew or kurd.
As we say to people who dont like the system in the UK, there is always the airport.

Turks or any other foreigners driving UK registered cars in the UK are not required to have a reg plate that defines them as a foreigner. That is not the case in Turkey!

The laws may not be different but the application of them sometimes is. Why else would locals be able to ride scooters with perhaps 3 or 4 passengers, no helmets, carrying dangerously large cargo, no lights, no insurance, with impunity!

I accept that I am in a different country but I just want equal treatment & application of laws to ALL!

So, no need to avail myself of a flight out of Turkey, I love it here, I just want fair-play!

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 17:50:48 PM »
Although I don't really want to go down this route - my view is that whether or not it is: Demolitions / Driving Regulations / Road Tax / Cement Works etc we should all expect to be treated fairly - which means the same as everyone else and not singled out for special treatment!

Leaving the country which we all love is unrealistic and unhelpful.

Ian

Ps I think we should wait for Barry to tell us he has his scooter and his legal paperwork and we can  put this thread to bed!!!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 17:51:21 PM by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 16:44:00 PM »
Barry - the suspense is killing me - please tell me you have got your paperwork without any fuss / bribes / backhanders / taking out a 100 year visa etc etc ????

Ian  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 16:44:23 PM by Ian »

Offline barry44544

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2010, 17:25:20 PM »
Well........ After a wait, went to the traffic office... It was shut for the day..!!!
BUT... In an office opposite... There was the agent who acted for the shop..
With my log book and number plate..
Unlucky for me.. Service office was shut..
But I pick the bike up in the morning....... At last.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2010, 22:28:13 PM »
Barry - please could you tell us tomorrow if you got your plates and were able to insure the scooter???

I am afraid one without the other is a "fail" [:(!] [:(!]

Ian
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 22:28:40 PM by Ian »

Offline minimoo

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 06:34:32 AM »
quote:
Turks or any other foreigners driving UK registered cars in the UK are not required to have a reg plate that defines them as a foreigner. That is not the case in Turkey!

The laws may not be different but the application of them sometimes is. Why else would locals be able to ride scooters with perhaps 3 or 4 passengers, no helmets, carrying dangerously large cargo, no lights, no insurance, with impunity!

I accept that I am in a different country but I just want equal treatment & application of laws to ALL!

So, no need to avail myself of a flight out of Turkey, I love it here, I just want fair-play!

What you seems to be suggesting here is that no one Turkish ever gets stopped or fined for these offences. That is simply not true. I know many people who have been stopped and fined for this. I also know quite a few expats who have done the same and not been stopped.

With regards to foreign plates...sometimes it's a curse, sometimes it's a blessing. A lot of times those with foreign plates are waved through patrols because the authorities are doing checks on national service, or looking for someone in particular.

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 16:49:47 PM »

Ok, thanks or your response. It is good to hear that there is a positive side to being identified as a foreigner on my reg plate.

Offline minimoo

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 17:22:46 PM »
I also got pulled over at a patrol on the way to my parents house once, whilst driving my husband's turkish plated car. My son (who speaks fluent turkish...far better than mine) wound down the window and said " This is my dad's car...my mum is English and does not speak any Turkish" and we were promptly ushered on...so yes, IMO, sometimes our nationality allows us to get away with things (not that I was doing anything wrong by the way lol)

Offline kim

• Harefield, Middlesex, UK
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2010, 18:04:50 PM »
So can  anybody tell me ,i brought a car 2yrs ago ,we have ,insurance ,mot,tax ,but we do not residence ,but it wasn't a problem then ,are we legal to drive with our uk driving liciences now .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf