Author Topic: Road Tax Legal Position ?  (Read 7919 times)

Offline Steve A

Road Tax Legal Position ?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 17:33:06 PM »
Here is a reply from a Fethiye Solicitor;
This road tax is illegal as a tax, but the council can ask this money like duty or any other name.. The point is, they ask this money for the roads and the job to make a new road is theirs already. They are getting council tax for it, and any other tax and duty you are paying.

so, if you like we can take this issue to the court when they send you a letter asking the money to be paid. The court will decide whether you have to pay or how much you have to pay. (most likely the court will favour you)

However to go to court you need a lawyer, to prepare the documents for you and to act on behalf of you, and the legal fee will be more than the tax, and you can not recover this legal fee even if you win the case.

What happens if you do not pay? They say you pay now you only pay 3/4 of it, and to pay this road tax you have have 2 years, you can pay in instalments. If you do not pay, it will wait, however when you go there to pay the council tax, they will ask you about road tax as well. So, you can just leave it and if they do not abolish this road tax you can pay whenever you like + some interest on it. Please note that, when you sell the property you will have to pay all the tax because they do not give you the necessary paper if you do not pay all the tax owed to the council.

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 17:46:48 PM »
Does everyone have to pay or just the ones that had the tar and stones put down. The road past my place is block paved

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 17:50:50 PM »

I have just been reading in Voices news sheet about a couple of guys (Brits) who have not paid their site fees and cannot be contacted via the contact numbers they left. They are about to loose their properties so the monies can be recovered. Could this happen if you refuse to pay the "road" tax?

Offline tonysue

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 18:52:15 PM »
There must be a method to working out who pays what. Is it depending on the value on your tapu or per sq metre perhaps?? It seems the norm times the  number of names on the tapu.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 19:14:47 PM »
It seems a righgt mess, see this extract from the email sent by my agent after I had paid £417 this year

"The biggest problem is that people find out neighbours a few meters away have paid vastly different amounts. We met some friends in Fethiye last week and they were saying that they both paid different amounts despite being 10 meters from each other. Contrary to popular belief it's not always the foreigners that pay more as in this case the Turkish neighbour paid more than the British couple"

Offline Steve A

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 19:20:24 PM »
Apparently you only pay if your Tapu was completed prior to April 2008 and the amount is worked out dependant upon the value stated on Tapu then by the number of names on the tapu.Hence we have 4 identical houses bought at 4 different times on the same complex with 4 different road tax bills.My neighbours Tapu value is the same as mine but because hers has one name on her bill is 500ytl as mine has 2 names on mine is 1000ytl !

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 19:26:09 PM »

As far as I was told, it was a formula based on the area and value declared on the tapu. This would make just about everybodies different value, especially if you bought many years ago and have a low declared value on the tapu.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 21:50:38 PM »
This sounds so typical and a right cock up.
Is the tax also payable for properties in Ovacik does anyone know?
Our property is on an unadopted road so I wont be impressed with a bill if I can't see anything for it.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:37:50 AM »

Steve A, have you checked that about the double payment for 2 names or is it just hearsay again. We have paid ours, 2 names on the tapu and cost is split between the 2 of us.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 07:50:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Diverbaz 1

Steve A, have you checked that about the double payment for 2 names or is it just hearsay again. We have paid ours, 2 names on the tapu and cost is split between the 2 of us.

I went to pay a freinds, two names on the Tapu so the cost was split between 2 less the discount for early payment. Nearly everyone on the complex has different amounts to pay, depending when they purchased and what value was put on the Tapu at the time of purchase.
Mark
Mark

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf