Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
What is it?
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Not sure if this is food related or not. There is a product that at the moment is very much in evidence on the fruit and veg markets so I guess it is. It is labeled "Yayla Kimisi and looks like a young Iris plant that has been cut off at ground level or just below.  The leaves are a dull green and the base where they have been cut off is pale yellow/creamy white.  The leaves vary in length from about 4" to 12" long. Tried loads of internet searches but the closest I can get is Yayla meaning mountain or high plateau. Does anyone know what it is and more importantly what you do with it? :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:45:30 AM by tribalelder »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
What is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
The "Yaylas" are the high plateaus where the nomads and villagers take their livestock to in the spring and keep them there until the autumn. You'll see that some of the village names on the road over the mountains to Antalya are prefixed with Yayla.

I'm not sure what the plant is but you'll see lots of products that are prefixed with the word "Yayla" in the markets. It basically means that they're from the mountain areas and could be regarded as "organic" as they haven't been intensively managed and sprayed.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
What is it?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 15:31:58 PM »
Thanks Alan that's basically where my searches have taken me....but I still wish I knew what they actually were :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
What is it?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 16:02:35 PM »
These plateaus are some of the highest plateaus in the World. They can only be accessed by foot, and have caused many men to collapse when climbing to them. They are said to have been the inspiration behind Eric Clapton's lyrics "Yayla, you've got me on my knees".

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
What is it?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
my god the information you learn on here!! ////pmsl

Offline coeym

What is it?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:43:27 AM »
Hi ,i went to the Fri market yesterday(much better than the tues market,and cheaper!!)quite a few traders were selling this mystery product,a couple of them had a laminated newspaper page with a wrie up about it,also they had a couple of recipies,in Turkish of course,but with  my limited Turkish i could make out that one of them was a salad,using olive oil,garlic,and lemon juice,the other one seemed to have rice,tomatoes,oiland some other things which were beyond me,but i got the impression that this one was some sort of stew.The name it came under was ciris or kiris,hope this helps,might give it a try one day.
quote:
Originally posted by tribalelder

Not sure if this is food related or not. There is a product that at the moment is very much in evidence on the fruit and veg markets so I guess it is. It is labeled "Yayla Kimisi and looks like a young Iris plant that has been cut off at ground level or just below.  The leaves are a dull green and the base where they have been cut off is pale yellow/creamy white.  The leaves vary in length from about 4" to 12" long. Tried loads of internet searches but the closest I can get is Yayla meaning mountain or high plateau. Does anyone know what it is and more importantly what you do with it? :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
What is it?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
Kiris may be where it is from - about 5k from Kemer, on the coast south of Antalya.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:24:31 AM by Colwyn »

Offline Sue T

What is it?
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 14:47:19 PM »
Kiri(sh) I think it is a Turkish Sh, on the end is rather like a mild leek and it cooks softer.  You can either make it to eat cold in which case you saute it and some sliced onion in some olive oil, add some water, seasoning and a generous sqeeze of lemon juice, bring to boil, simmer till it is cooked then leave to cool.  For more of a main course, do roughly the same, but throw in a handful of washed rice and if you like some thinly sliced carrot and or tomato the same recipes can be used for leeks Turkish style.  Of course you could also add some ground beef if you want a meaty version, in which case you fry this with the onion at the beginning and leave out the rice. Garlic optional for garlic fans in the main meal versions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf