Author Topic: Holiday homes from hell Questions,why  (Read 2698 times)

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
Holiday homes from hell Questions,why
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
I read the original post and found it to be informative and extremely interesting and understood it to be from a very disgruntled property owner who had taken good advice.Nothing in there was slanderous and I believe was a part of Council (Beledye) record.So why take the arbitrary  decision to delete it.The original post dated 10.07.10 was not objected to by any Moderator from then until 17 .07 10.This is supposed to be an open forum accepting submissions from any contributor.An enormous amount of members do not register with full emails and post what they will .So four hours and fourteen minutes do not constitute a fair time for the individual to respond.  I submit. J

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 13:31:09 PM »
This was an anonymously submitted contribution from a new member who avoided giving his name, using what appeared to be a 'made for the purpose' hotmail address and contained an accusation of illegal activity by a member of Fethiye Belediye. It is not acceptable to "name names" while hiding your own, John. This is cowardly and dangerous. The post was potentially libellous (not slanderous) and libel from people who remain anonymous cannot be accepted on this forum. If it is, we'll end up in anarchy. I wonder if your view would change if you were the subject of libel, which we allowed to stay in the public domain even though you were at the complete disadvantage of not knowing who your accuser even is.

I thought I dealt with the situation very fairly indeed. I asked the author to add his name and a more reliable email address to his details in order that we could allow his contribution to stay. From my 'Ivory tower' I watched the author return to the topic, read it and leave - deciding not to divulge his identity as requested. It was this, not dates or times, that caused the topic to be deleted.

A few points of order to clarify. Members originally didn't have to give their full name when joining CBF, but they do now. This changed about 6 months ago and was again due to this type of cowardly activity. Acceptable email addresses have to include Hotmail/Yahoo types due to the large proportion of members based in Turkey where it is the easiest option. Personally I am not too interested in people's full names and of course it is very easy to make one up. This really isn't important unless and until a potentially libellous post is made by that member.

I have had to fight invisible attackers in the past and it isn't nice and more so it isn't fair to expect someone to. The member concerned has now returned and given his details and if he wishes to resubmit I have no problem with that. When the gentleman from Fethiye Belediye comes looking for someone to sue I will pass on the details. Without the author to sue, the responsibility ends with me and I'm not taking the flak for any anonymously contributed accusations. It is perhaps interesting that now we have his name he has so far chosen not to repeat his allegations against the gentleman. In reply to the returning member, I stated that his subject is most valid, the activities of A1 and other dishonest developers should not be allowed to fade as the years pass. I am sure the financial hardship and sad memory of those who paid in full for their properties and lost them don't fade over time.

We are not censorers on CBF John, we are campaigners and fighters for justice in many, many different areas of life. We also come and explain why we do what we do.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 13:38:40 PM »
well said and quiet statesman like Keith. If the original poster had complied my guess would be it would have been allowed to run.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 13:48:39 PM »
Most certainly it would Charles. That was the offer.

Offline den51cat

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 19:50:35 PM »
Hello, I recently joined cbf as was interested in the holiday homes from hell topic.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 19:59:36 PM »
I'm not surprised, people accusing others of corruption while hiding their own identity makes for juicy stuff. Sadly this is a responsible forum not a public toilet wall.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 22:55:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Sadly this is a responsible forum not a public toilet wall.

I nearly replied with my first thoughts here... prob best I didn't.

Anywayz, just a quick note re libelous comments.  While this forum is actually hosted in the U.S. (no great disclosure here, two clicks and anyone can find that out) it does not necessarily mean that U.S. law applies - theirs is that the poster gets sued, not the publisher (in this case, Mr S.).

Under U.K. law, both the author (poster) and publisher (Mr S.) are jointly liable for libelous comments published on a forum.  Therefore unless you wanna see a big "donate to my legal bill" button appearing, any posts that could be considered libelous will be removed.  Unless of course the poster can back those comments up or they can fall under the heading of "fair comment".

That's it in noddy language.  Anyone who wants the dry, boring legal definitions plus possible precedents/case law is welcome to email anyone but me  :)

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 23:08:07 PM »
And in noddy language, if it's libelling someone in Turkey, I'll be pointing them in the direction of the author so they can sort it out face to face  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 23:22:56 PM »
Thinking about it... wonder what the up take would be to a big "donate to my Efes fund" button would be?

JF

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 00:10:32 AM »
Thinking about, (and not much) i am glad we could never afford to buy, even when a 3 bedroom villa was going (21 years ago) for £12,000, and now thanks to the brits  reaction, THATS CHEAP, you can easily add another £100,00, mugs or what. :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf